Taking your show wherever you go

The popular app and streaming program, Netflix, has come out with a new update many viewers are excited for. Netflix is the movie, television show, and documentary center for being able to watch many different forms of entertainment. But back in the day it began in 1997 as a DVD-by-mail service. Netflix has provided wifi accessible videos to stream but many viewers have wanted something more. “Fans like Netflix a lot because it’s instant and right at your fingertips,” says, senior, Grace Venzke.

Recently Netflix came out with a new update where viewers can download the show they are watching and stream it without using wifi or cellular data, making it easier to watch Netflix on the go. Viewers were thrown off at first, thinking the new downloading would be taking up too much storage on their devices. However, Netflix has seemed to prove them wrong. The update makes it possible to download the show and later delete it after viewers are done watching. This makes sure device storage isn’t overtaken by Netflix.

With iPhones there is a movie app where movies and shows can be bought from the App Store. This happens to take up a lot of storage available with iPhones, making it hard for consumers to want to purchase shows to download. Netflix does the same sort of process; the show/movie will download to the same generic app but can be directly deleted without wasting money.

“I absolutely love the new update.This way I can binge watch my shows from anywhere without using data,” says senior, Jared Albee. Netflix has racked up even more consumers with this new update. Although even before this Netflix has always been a “good deal”, being able to watch any show or movie with having to pay only $7 a month, now allows downloads of a show to have forever or for a little amount of time for the same price consumers are already paying.

Before the update, Netflix was the binge watching app, the media where millions of people can tune into what makes them laugh and cry. Since the beginning of Netflix, it started out with just streaming of other movies and shows but now has become its own producer for new shows including shows like Orange is the New Black and many others. These have become new fan favorites. “Netflix is nice because you don’t have to wait for commercials and you can choose what you want to watch whenever,” states Venzke. Downloading this app can save a lot of time and now allow viewers to continue the craze of How I Met Your Mother or Orange is the New Black anywhere.