The pressures of performing on centerstage

With the recent evaluation of Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance, as further discussed in CJ Roethler’s article “Learning from your mistakes,” brings up the topic of performance pressures. Plenty of students at PV have performances in which they wish to do their best adding extra pressures. From musical performances, dance performances, theater performances, and much more, with performing can come anxiety, stress, and self-confidence issues.

When gearing up for a performance, a student may find it hard to concentrate on their studies in school or other activities due to the overwhelming worries and anxieties they feel with the upcoming performance. However, worrying is often the cause of unneeded anxiety during the performance. In order to have a successful performance, it is important to remember the roots of why the activity is being done. Relaxing and enjoying the performance can often aid in the result.

Stress can also add to the pressure surrounding a performance. In order to reduce stress, keeping up with schoolwork prior to the performance is important. Senior and dancer, Kinsey Paulson, reflects saying, “It can get stressful [balancing school and dance], but my coaches have always told me that school comes first, so knowing I have their support helps.”  With having to go to school everyday, it’s important to keep school in mind when stressing about preparing for a certain additional task. Paulson says, “I make sure to prioritize so the most important school work gets done, but I then save homework that isn’t for the next day so that I can focus on dance.” Balance is the key when prioritizing activities when it becomes the height of performance season.

Remaining confident in one’s own talents also helps aid in a positive, interesting performance. People enjoy watching/listening to performances in which they are not worried about the outcome of the performance. Although it may be difficult, remaining happy and positive creates an exciting performance for the audience. Senior, Olivia Heckel, reminisces on past musical performances saying, “To remain calm and confident I make sure that I am as well prepared as I can be.” Confidence is an important factor in performing. No matter the mistakes made, remaining calm and confident distracts from small errors made.
It’s important to prepare, but also remaining calm and collected can help in a performance. With Mariah’s performance in mind, as viewers of her performance, it is easy to criticize. Sure, changes could have been made, but as a performer, it is crucial to remain smiling and continue even after things go wrong. Best of luck to any Spartan performers this year!