This is SpARTa! :Q&A with Samina Abdullah

SAMSUNG+CSC
SAMSUNG CSC

Samina Abdullah, senior at Pleasant Valley, is involved in multiple activities within the school. She is an active member of the Pleasant Valley Platinum dance team, choir, jazz choir, band, National Honors Society, Full Orchestra, etc. She spends a lot of time with each activity but makes sure she gives each one the attention it needs. Samina has been involved in choir since 6th grade and is extremely thankful she joined.

Q: When did you begin choir/singing?

A: I started singing in 6th grade, but I have been singing ever since I watched the first High School Musical.

Q:What’s the hardest thing when it comes to signing?

A: The hardest thing about singing is performing the type of the piece, in my opinion.

Q: What/who inspires you to become a better singer?

A: All of the people in my jazz choir. The Leading Tones also inspire me to become better because they are all so amazing and I want to be the same for them.

Q: What accomplishments are you most proud of?

A: In choir, I am most proud of being a three year All Stater and receiving “Best in Center” last year at State Solo and Ensemble Festival.

Q: How often do you practice?

A: I sing every day but I have a focused practice at least once a week.

Q: What is your favorite choir memory?

A: Allen Chapman yelling at me because I hadn’t auditioned to be Jasmine at Disney World, after it was the third time he told me to audition.

Q: Have you had to make any sacrifices?

A: Sometimes, during busy times of the year. Choir takes a lot of my time but I believe it’s all worth it.

Q: Do you plan on continuing to sing after high school?

A: Yes, I plan on singing in a choir in college and potentially pursuing vocal performance academically.

Q: What advice would you give to anyone wanting to begin choir?

A: When I was in 6th grade, I didn’t want to join choir because I didn’t want to wake up early in the morning on another day. I already had to wake up early for orchestra so I thought it’d be too much. My mom forced me to try choir out for a day, and it had become one of my favorite activities. Choir is not only awesome because music is just awesome, it’s also amazing because of all the friends I have made while being a part of it.