Neil Diamond and the Caroline confusion

It has an indescribable, unforgettable, and contagious melody. It can get any crowd vibing and bring back sweet memories for all listeners. The song is the 1969 hit “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond. This catchy hit follows a rhythmic flow that all Americans have heard. It is played loud and proud at sports games and social outings accompanied by a huge, cheering crowd singing along. Pleasant Valley High School is just one of the numerous schools that love and appreciate the song and the mood it brings, but what do the words of “Sweet Caroline” really mean?

Caroline is the main topic of the song, and yet most listeners do not know who it is describing. Alex Kitzmann, senior, commented, “I love the song, but if I had to guess, I’d say Caroline is a callgirl.”

However, some Pleasant Valley students do know their classical music history. Pleasant Valley High School drumline leader Scotty Jones, senior, explained, “Oldie music is the best, and I know the song is about Caroline Kennedy.” That is correct. The Kennedy family was one of the most loved presidential families to ever live in the White House. The whole family was adored throughout the nation, influencing Neil Diamond to write his ode to sweet, young Caroline.

The song, however, was not originally intended to be about Caroline Kennedy. In 2014, Neil Diamond revealed why he chose Caroline for the song. CNN reported Oct. 20, 2014, “The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn’t get a ‘Marsha’ rhyme.”

Although simple, everyone can agree that Car-o-line flows much better than Mar-sha. So the next time you hear “Sweet Caroline’” at a Pleasant Valley basketball game or on the radio, take a minute to think about the words Diamond is singing and to realize the ways in which this beautiful song brings back so much nostalgia…even if you’ve never met a Caroline.