Encouraging creativity

Q&A with Mr. Hanson
Encouraging+creativity

Who has seen a guy in the art room always elbow deep in clay? His name is Devin Hanson, art teacher, or as students generally know him, Mr. Hanson. Those who have not met him yet definitely should, because he is a teacher known to make an impact on students’ lives. He has helped many people find themselves and realize what their talents truly are. Milla Grounina, junior, said, “He has helped me become creative and show myself more through my work. Mr. Hanson has also helped me find happiness through it, and discover what I want to do when I’m older.” When he is not helping improve students creativity, he is working on his own projects.  Hanson has been very successful in the arts. He runs the All-State art competition, along with teaching at PV he teaches adjunct classes at Ambrose, and runs the ceramics programs and classes at PV. Along with being excited about sharing what he loves [art] with students in art classes,  Hanson stated, “I appreciate how much PV does for the arts. We are always supported and recognized which helps our program grow.”

Q: What are you most proud of?

A: I am most proud of my 3-ring lamp, it’s probably one of my best pieces of artwork. Still when I look at it I cannot believe that it’s something I created.

Q: When did you realize your talent in art?

A: I realized I had a talent in art my senior year of college. I switched my major and found that I liked all of my art classes I was taking, and enjoyed them more than classes for my last major.

Q: Did you always want to be an art teacher?

A: No, originally I wanted to have a career in broadcasting, but I didn’t like the hours that came with the job. Along with the hours, I didn’t like how you weren’t positive where you would end up.  Lastly, I wanted to be able to live and being a broadcaster keeps you very busy.

Q: Who has always been your idol?

A: Jason Bige Burnette has always been my idol. He is an insane ceramics artist. He is known for putting unique and antique-like print on pottery.

Q: Why did you choose this profession?

A: Being an art teacher was the best way to make art and make a living. When I was in college, I took many business classes and realized I didn’t like it that much. I wanted all art and no business, being an art teacher fulfilled that.

Q: How do you want to be remembered by PV students?

A: I hope students have a very positive experience they remember for the rest of their lives.

Q: What’s your greatest achievement and how did it shape you?

A: My greatest achievement is being given the 2016 Iowa High School Art Teacher of the Year award. Receiving this award surprised me because of how young I am compared to other art teachers throughout the state.

$480
$1000