Distinguished Young Women of Iowa

Many are familiar with the America’s Junior Miss pageant held every year. Now called Distinguished Young Women, the program is the largest and oldest scholarship program for high school girls. The competition focuses on five main skills: scholastics, interview, public speaking, fitness and talent. Samina Abdullah, senior, competed for the title of Distinguished Young Woman of Iowa on February 17, 2017 and she was able to walk away with a win. Abdullah will continue to the national competition in Mobile, Alabama in June of 2017. Abdullah’s mother, Afsana Abdullah, said, “It was an amazing experience for Samina!”

Abdullah considered this competition after reading about it on the school’s website, but her decision to compete in this competition was largely due to the support of her close friend Emma Kate Wichman. Wichman had participated the year before, and reached out to Abdullah encouraging her to try. Abdullah said, “Emma’s solicitation was a compliment to me because I have high respect for her.”

One of Abdullah’s main supporters is her sister, Rebecca Abdullah, junior. The two sisters dance together on the Pleasant Valley Platinum dance team and the Above the Barre Dance Academy dance team. Abdullah went with her sister and the rest of their family up to the competition together. After she [Abdullah] was crowned Iowa’s representative, Abdullah’s sister said, “I am so proud of her [Abdullah] for winning this title. I can’t wait to see how she performs at the national competition this June.”

Abdullah said, “My favorite part of my three-day experience was meeting the other exceptional contestants as well as the inspirational adult women who spent time with us.” The contestants were visited by a variety of different women who shared speeches about their lives and wisdom they had gained. Abdullah’s favorite part of the actual day of competition was the opening dance number because it was, “such a fun routine.”

For the talent portion of the competition, Abdullah performed a dance solo choreographed by Mandy Borgelt. Abdullah has been dancing since she was very young and has moved her way up to be an elite dancer at her studio, Above the Barre. Studio owner, Kim Munn, said, “I love that Samina always tries new things and always gives 110%.” All of Abdullah’s teammates say they are very impressed and are so excited to cheer her on at the national competition.

This competition is something Abdullah would recommend to any high school senior girl. Abdullah said, “I gained confidence from this experience and I learned some valuable interview and public speaking skills as well.” Multiple contestants have reached out to say they have grown as a person because of this competition. Abdullah said, “You never know how well you could do if you don’t try!”