Something in the shadows

Seniors heading off to college in the fall need to know how to protect themselves. Young adults knowing how to keep themselves safe can be very important, which is why self defense classes are becoming increasingly popular.

The art of self defense can help with street awareness. Students who are heading off to college are taking self defense classes to further their knowledge and to have more street awareness.

A local business called Summit Training Center offers self defense classes to peop

le of all ages. This program was created by Pat Miletich and Don Roberts to teach community members the art of self defense. The class was designed to help people prepare for an aggressive attack. Kelsey Borbeck, senior, is one of the many Pleasant Valley students who attended this class. She said, “It was very useful. Everything he taught us were things that I see myself using if I were ever in that situation.”

According to KWQC, “For women who feel they aren’t fast enough or str

ong enough to protect themselves against an attacker, think again.” Women who take these self defense classes can improve both their strength and their confidence.

Many businesses offer self defense classes around the Quad City area. For women who are nervous about self defense classes, Caras Studios offers classes exclusively for women. The classes are offered on the second Friday of each month, and the registration fee is $5.00.

The ability to protect oneself can be very important for students heading off to college. Being aware of one’s surroundings will help them to be more careful when going out by themselves. Many local businesses offer self defense classes to both women and men who want to be more street aware.