PVHS band showcases the seniors

On Monday, March 27, 2017, Pleasant Valley High School’s band program put on a special show with an emphasis on the Class of 2017 seniors.

For over 25 years, this senior concert has been a long-standing PV tradition. Along with special individual recognition, seniors had the opportunity to select which music they wanted to perform for the concert. Additionally, the program for the concert had a unique page consisting of baby photos of each band senior.

“I thought the concert went very well and I was happy to receive so many compliments from many parents and former band directors about how well the students performed,” said Rob Medd, Assistant Band Director.

The evening began with a performance from the Concert Band, which is comprised of only freshmen. Led by Tara Daurer, this band played “Eire”, “Tight Squeeze”, and “The Sky”. Following the freshmen, came the Symphonic Band, guided by Brian Gartner. Symphonic Band performed three pieces as well: “Alchemy: Spirit into Sound”, “Rollo Takes a Walk”, and “Blue Ridge Reel”. Next, before the introduction on seniors and their parents, Rob Medd conducted the Wind Ensemble through the songs “Galop”, “October”, and “Greek Folk Song Suite”.

Each band senior was recognized by name, along with their parents. Additionally, each received a white rose and had his/her photo taken at the upperclassmen concert.

After each senior was honored, the concert ended with a series of pieces performed by the Wind Symphony. Director Drew Anderson led these musicians through “Carmina Burana”, “Angels In The Architecture”, “Concerto for Clarinet”, and “Suite in Eb”.

Ian Aplington (pictured above), who performed with the Wind Symphony, was this year’s featured senior soloist. Aplington was featured in “Concerto for Clarinet”, composed by Artie Shaw.

“I thought the concert went very well!” said Tara Daurer, Assistant Band Director. “My favorite parts were recognizing the seniors and their parents, finding out what music the seniors selected as their favorites from previous years, and the student soloist with the Wind Symphony.”

While this academic school year is nearing its end, band students still have a substantial amount of performances left.

“Each performance is important in a different way and gives the band students a variety of opportunities to grow as musicians and positively impact the band program and community,” commented Daurer.

State Solo/Ensemble Festival was Saturday, April 8, 2017.  The band had over 100 entries of solos, small ensembles (2-6 performers), and instrumental choirs (7-24 performers, conducted).

“I love that we have such a large representation, since it is not a required event for students,” added Daurer.

District Band Night, State Large Group Festival, and Graduation band are among the events remaining for Pleasant Valley High School Band members.

District Band Night is Monday, April 24 at 7:00pm at the iWireless Center, with all 840 plus band members in the PVCSD. State Large Group Festival is Saturday, May 6. At this event, all four bands will perform for three adjudicators who will give written and verbal feedback. The 10th and 11th grade students will then perform at graduation, while the freshman Concert Band students will perform for the Memorial Day Ceremony in LeClaire.

As for next year, the band is expected to grow in numbers yet again. The district is also adding an additional band position, which will in turn allow the high school to have four full-time directors. A trip to Disney is also on the horizon for next year’s band plans.