This is SpARTa! : Q&A with Josh Docherty

Josh Docherty is currently a senior at Pleasant Valley High School. He became interested in art last year when he took his first art class at the high school. Currently, he is taking Devin Hanson’s ceramics class. Even though Docherty just started making art last year, many say he seems to have a talent for ceramics and is already making very professional work.

Out of the few art class you have taken, what seems to be your favorite?

I really love my ceramics class that I am in right now, and I really wish I would have taken the class earlier on in high school so I could have done advanced ceramics later on.

Do you think you will continue with art after high school?

I would love too, but I do not really know what types of art classes are going to be available for me after a graduate in May. If I have the opportunity to participate in ceramics again, though, I definitely will try.

Do you have a certain style that your work follows?

I usually try to not make my work too crazy. I pay close attention to the small details and want my art to be perfect, so my pots are usually very simple.

Do you have any certain inspiration when making pieces?

I don’t have any specific inspirations usually. Typically I come up with things to make on my own, but I do follow a few ceramic artists on Instagram. I will look at some of their work for inspiration and then try to put my own twist on whatever piece I am working on.

What is your opinion on Mr. Hanson leaving?

I am going to miss him. This is only my second art class I have taken at the high school, so I am not super close with him, but I do know that he is a fantastic teacher and ceramic artist himself. I wish him the best in his future career in Chicago.