A way to have a voice

It is not unlikely that, while roaming the halls of Pleasant Valley High School, you may overhear students complaining about some of the things in our school. Day after day, kids come up with  great ideas on how to improve the school and the atmosphere. Fortunately, Pleasant Valley has a place where kids have a voice, and can actually get the changes made with the help of Spartan Assembly.

Each year, the class representatives and executive members of spartan assembly work on events like homecoming week, the Hunger Drive, the state service project, Mr. Pv, Powderpuff volleyball and football, along with many others. With the ultimate goal of promoting school spirit, Spartan Assembly does a lot of work to get people involved with the school events and help to make kids feel welcome at the school. Tracy Lux, Spartan Assembly Advisor, said, “Nobody knows better about what could make the school more fun, welcoming, and committed to its students than the students themselves. Being involved in student council is a great way to promote change in our school and make it a place that students enjoy coming to.”

Being a part of the Spartan Assembly team not only gets one involved with the school, but the community as well. The council works a lot with non profit organizations like the Riverbend Food Bank, helping gather donations from the school so that hungry members of the community can be fed. Cecily Clark, Spartan Assembly Vice President, said, “If I never would have joined student council, I would not have been able to see the huge impact that teens can have on people in the community. It’s amazing to see firsthand the people that our school is helping.”

Other community helping events that the team is in charge of are school wide blood drives and different Iowa foundations like The Native Fund and Team Rubicon.

Elections for next year’s Spartan Assembly team are going on right now. Students who are passionate about making changes, and having a voice in the school are encouraged to apply for class representative spots. Packets are in Tracy Lux’s room, and must be turned into her by Friday, April 28.