Top college players look for a new home in the NFL

The 2017 NFL draft is going to take place on Thursday April 27 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The draft is a time that allows an NFL team to completely change their team.

This year’s number 1 draft pick isn’t a lock like it has been in years past. Edge rusher Myles Garrett is projected to be the top pick selected by the Cleveland Browns, but it is far from guaranteed. Josh Docherty, senior, is a Browns fan, and he said, “I hope that the Browns don’t draft a quarterback with one of their top picks. I just want them to get the best available player.”

This year’s draft class is very deep overall and has a lot of talent that could completely change a team.

Player Spotlight                                                                                                                                                                             Desmond King, out of Iowa, is a player that a lot of people at PV would love to see drafted early after he won the Thorpe award (awarded to the top corner back in the country) at Iowa as a junior. He made many Iowans happy as he returned to Iowa as a senior. King is going to try to transfer over to safety in the NFL and is a projected mid-round draft pick. Zack Pilger, senior, is a big fan of Iowa football. He said, “Whoever drafts King in the draft is going to get a steal because even though he didn’t do as well his senior season, King has still proved he is a top defensive back.”

Team Spotlight                                                                                                                                                                                        The Chicago Bears hold the #3 pick in the draft on Thursday night. There isn’t solely one player that is being linked to the Bears. They could use a lot of help at multiple positions on their football team. After signing QB Mike Glennon this offseason, there is very little possibility that they will draft a quarterback early. CJ Roethler, senior, is a Bears fan, and he said, “I wish we drafted a top defensive back this year because we are really lacking a good player in our secondary.”