Big three basketball league

The traditional sport of basketball has a five-on-five setting that usually contains set plays and drills to make the teamwork flow together. However, there are other ways in which the game can be played. In urban basketball courts, a common type of basketball to play is a 3-on-3 style. This style switches up the team dynamics and the way in which the team runs plays. The 3-on-3 basketball style is finally hitting the professional grid, as rap artist and actor Ice Cube (O’Shea Jackson) has created a new league of basketball called the Big 3 League.

Jackson got the motivation to create the Big 3 League after seeing his favorite stars of the NBA retire. Most recently, the motivation spurred from the legendary Kobe Bryant retiring from the game. Bleacher Report quotes Jackson, who said, “‘After Kobe retired, I was like, man this dude scored 60 points his last game, but it’s over.’ And why? Because of the wear and tear of the NBA—82 games, plus playoffs, back-to-backs. I was like, what can we do to still see these dudes play and take out the wear and tear?’” This unique idea by Jackson inspired him and his business partner, Jeff Kwatinetz, along with Amy Trask (Oakland Raiders CEO) and Joe Connelly III (Washington Wizards Developmental Coach) to create the Big 3 League.

The Big 3 League consists of eight teams that are all coached by former NBA stars like Allen Iverson, former Hall of Famer and NBA MVP. Each team consists of a coach and an assistant coach, along with 5 players on the roster. The players in the league include retired NBA players, aspiring NBA stars, or old college basketball legends. The games will be broadcasted on FOX sports network, with the finals of the season coming around August 26 in Las Vegas.

Pleasant Valley students, like C.J. Roethler, senior, are excited to watch some of their favorites play again. Roethler said, “3-on-3 basketball is actually a lot more competitive than 5-on-5. Bringing in old legends with make the league even more fun to watch this summer.”

The first game is set for June 25 in Brooklyn, New York.