American Idol revival

After fifteen seasons on air, Fox announced that American Idol was going to be coming to an end. The final season was filled with appearances from past judges and contestants. There was a lot of speculation about why Fox would cancel such a long-running show. Fox chairmen and CEOs, Gary Newman and Dana Walden, said that the decision was emotional, and hard to make. Newman said, “American Idol has been such a vital part of Fox for its run, and we spent a lot of time talking with producers about the future of American Idol. Collectively we arrived at the conclusion that it was time to bring the show to an end.” Many were sad to see the show go, but as the ratings had continued to decline, many also agreed that it was the right call.

Now, hopeful fans may have their wishes come true. ABC has announced that they will be reviving American Idol  and are hoping to make it “bigger, bolder, and better-than-ever”. While many have questioned why ABC would bring back a show not native to their channel, no definite comments have been made regarding the choice. Some are speculating that ABC is hoping for a ratings boost, like FOX received when the show was running. Also people are wondering if ABC is still trying to break into the music-related reality TV show circuit. There have been attempts in the past, The One: Making a Music Star and Rising Star, however none have been successful.

Along with wondering why the show is making a return, viewers are also wondering who is going to be judging and hosting the revival. Long-time host, Ryan Seacrest, is now a part of the ABC family, hosting the popular morning show, “Live with Kelly and Ryan”. There has been no official comment about whether or not Seacrest will return to the show, but Idol creator Simon Fuller said, “There would be no American Idol without Ryan Seacrest.”

It has been said that ABC has expressed serious interest in having former contestant, Kelly Clarkson, come on to the show as a judge. Clarkson has been one of the most successful Idol winners with three Grammy awards, 12 Billboard awards, and four American music awards under her belt.