Spartan tennis girls capture 4th consecutive conference title

The Pleasant Valley Girls Tennis program has secured a 4-peat victory in the Mississippi Athletic Conference. The girls competed at North Scott on Monday, May 8, and proceeded to the finals held in Clinton in the succeeding afternoon.

PV entered day two with a perfect score of 18 points. They did not drop one match on opening day, sending players into the championship matches of all six singles flights and all three doubles flights. At the end of day one, PV needed one match to clinch the conference championship title.

At the top singles spot, Lily Feldman, #1 player for Pleasant Valley, competed with Bettendorf’s Emilia Porubcin to a victory of 7-6 (3), 6-3. Hannah Humes battled Hannah Borgh, also from Bettendorf, all the way to a third set super tiebreaker. Humes fell just short, with a score of 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9-11). The rest of the PV girls’ lineup obtained singles championship wins; Roshni Penmatcha and Abi Paravasthuramesh each prevailed in their matches after a tiebreaker.

In doubles, Feldman and Kayla Nutt came just short of victory against Bettendorf’s Porubcin and Borgh, battling all the way to yet another third set tiebreak: 6-1, 1-6, 0-1 (8-10).

PV’s #2 and #3 doubles teams each received their crowns after defeating the respective Clinton teams in each final. Emily Nutt and Penmatcha teamed for a victory at #2 doubles, while Humes and Paravasthuramesh were victorious at #3 doubles.

PV continues in the postseason this May, and has its first regional qualifying meet on Saturday, May 13, against Davenport North. Next Thursday, May 18, the Spartans will have a chance to compete at districts and qualify for a spot at individual state, which is held in June.

“I’m really proud of all my teammates for how they played,” said Emily Nutt, senior. She added, “It has been so fun to watch them grow as players (and as people) these past several years.”