Dangers of caffeine

Unknown via Wikimedia Commons

Caffeine is a necessity for many people in the world today. Caffeine is so important that many people are addicted to it, and it is one of the most addictive substances in the world today. For Landry Blunk, senior, caffeine is a necessity and a part of his daily routine. Blunk said, “Every morning, I drink two to three cups of coffee before I go to school.” The amount of caffeine he drinks a morning is around 285mg. This can be very bad for a person’s health.

On April 26, 2017, a 16 year old teen boy from South Carolina collapsed during school because he consumed too much caffeine in a two hour period. Prior to school, Davis Allen Cripe decided to consume three drinks heavy in caffeine. In a short period of time, Cripe consumed a cafe latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew, and an energy drink.

The crazy thing about this is anyone can die of drinking too much caffeine. The scariest part of this is that in Cripe’s autopsy, it was revealed that he had no heart condition; he was a fully healthy teen with nothing wrong with him.  Marcus Conway, senior, thought this was very scary. He said, “This is crazy because I have easily had that much caffeine in that short of a time period, and to think he died from that is insane. I will definitely watch my caffeine intake after hearing about this teen.”

Cody Snyder, senior, takes pre-workout everyday. On average, a scoop of pre-workout contains 150mg of caffeine. Snyder generally takes two to three scoops of pre-workout a day. Snyder said, “I am definitely going to watch my caffeine intake now because on some days when I do a two a day lift, I consume four scoops of pre-workout.” Even though Snyder doesn’t usually take that much caffeine in a short time, it is still very dangerous.