Welcome to the real world, kiddos

Werner Heiber via Pixabay

As the seniors of 2017 begin their journey out into the real world, there are questions many of them may have. It is important to be able to answer these questions without the help of your mom and dad. How does someone get a loan? How does someone apply for a job or an internship? How does someone go about applying for student aid? How does someone find and apply for an apartment or house? There are many other unanswered questions seniors may have, and the answers one is looking for may be easier to find than one may think.

For starters, whether it is a student’s first job or fifth job, it is very important to understand how to apply for and interview for jobs. Sometimes it is as easy as walking into a business and filling out an applications, or filling out their online application then giving the business a call a couple days later to check on your application if they haven’t already called you. Other times, you may need to compose a resume. If  you do not already have one pre-made, www.resumebuilder.com, a free online resume builder is very reliable.

Once you receive an interview for a job, it is important to know the following; dress up and look professional (no matter what the job is), make sure to give out a firm handshake at the beginning, sit with good posture, have a resume ready on hand in case the employer asks for one, and also be very polite.

If you are looking for a personal or auto loan any time in the future, it is important to talk to your bank’s representative in that branch. One will most likely need a cosigner on your loan, which could be a parent or guardian. If you are wondering about student loans, you should consult with a guidance counselor/teacher/professor who may help you fill out your forms for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If one lives at home with their parents and they still claim them on their taxes, one would claim themselves as a dependent, and give both of their parents information. If you live independently, and are not claimed by their parents on their tax forms, one would claim himself/herself as independent.

Finding a house or apartment in the city you live in can be as simple as doing a Google search. It is important to contact the landlord, and fill out applications when looking for a place to live. Make calls around to ask about things like pricing, if they allow pets, if utilities are included in your rent, and how well the place is being maintained.

It is important to be independent to be able to do things without the help of your parents or guardians, but remember it is also always okay to ask for help.