Athlete of the week: Allison Miller

Allison Miller has been involved in athletics all of her life. From volleyball to tennis to golf, Miller’s passion for sports is just one of her many talents.

Miller began her athletic career in high school by playing tennis. She was on the Pleasant Valley girls tennis team for two years, playing varsity both years. After finding success in tennis, Miller realized that her true passion did not reside in that sport, but rather in golf. During Miller’s junior year, she joined the Pleasant Valley girls golf team instead of returning to the tennis team. Following in her sister’s footsteps, Miller became the golf team’s number one player.

After the transition from tennis to golf, Miller began working hard and dedicating specific practice time to the sport. With the help of her dad, Miller easily became one of the best high school girls golfer in the Quad Cities. Miller’s talent for golf did not fully come naturally, the countless hours she spent on the range throughout the season and in the off season greatly attributes to her success on the course. Through competing in the Iowa PGA Junior Tour, Miller kept the competitive side of her game alive throughout the summer by traveling to smaller tournaments throughout the state.

This year, Miller remained as PV’s number one player as she progressed throughout the summer and continues to improve her game. Throughout this season, Miller has always been at or near the top of the leaderboard. With an average round score of 78, Miller continues to out shoot the competition, and this year, Miller did just that at the annual MAC tournament, earning the individual MAC Champion title. With the season still in progress, Miller continues to consistently shoot well and hopes to advance to the state tournament later this month.

Not only is Allison a great golfer, but she is also an outstanding student and friend. “Allison is a great golfer, but she is also a great teammate. She is super kind and fun to be around,” says senior, Emily Bruinsma. Miller has been on the honor roll all four years of high school and is a member of the National Honors Society.

Miller will be furthering her academic and golfing career at Depauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. There, she will join her sister on the golf team and compete beside her for the first time collegiately. “I chose Depauw because it is an outstanding school academically, and has a quality golf program. The fact that it’s a division three school allows me to balance golf and academics equally.”