Course opportunities aid in college preparation

Photo taken by Butler University
College freshman and 2018 Pleasant Valley graduate, Haley Germain, appreciates the courses that prepared her for her college major, Communication Sciences and Disorders. She poses here with the director of her program at Butler University.

As students begin to choose their course load for the upcoming year, questions arise as to which courses will create the easiest transition into their college experience.

With Pleasant Valley’s array of Advanced Placement and college credit courses, there are many option students can use to benefit themselves. No matter what major a student plans to study, there are courses at PV that can act as preparation for each intended major.

Clemson University freshman and PV alumnus, Austin Halupnik, feels his Organic Chemistry/Microbiology and AP Calculus class gave him the necessary information for his first semester courses. “PV gave me a distinct advantage in the background understanding of the material in my college classes compared to my classmates,” Halupnik said.

These courses, typically offered to students in their junior and senior years of high school, act as a smooth transition to college due to the level of preparation needed for their AP and final exams. Halupnik agreed. “PV taught me how to prepare well for my exams,” he said.

Haley Germain, a freshman at Butler University and PV Alumna, is studying another branch of science: Communication Sciences and Disorders. Although this major amasses a heavy load of coursework, Germain found the college courses offered at PV were able to complete the general education requirements she needed in her four years of college. Germain said, “I took Statistics, Intro to Sociology, and Public Speaking. These all counted as credit and helped me get a head start on classes for my major.”

Emory University freshman and PV graduate, Emma Horsfield, is studying Spanish and Business, another spectrum of majors. She was able to test into the 300 level of Spanish as a freshman, even though this course is usually dominated by sophomore college students; this was because her experiences with AP Spanish at PV have helped her start her college career a step ahead. Horsfield said, “Without my language exposure at PV, I would have never been at the level I am today.”

Horsfield’s experience as a business major has also been assisted by her time at PV. She is especially thankful for the time management and leadership skills she has gained. Although PV may seem too vigorous as a high school experience, Horsfield is truly grateful for it.

These graduate’s experiences attest to the opportunities available for students. Horsfield stressed their value and encouraged students to take advantage of them. She said, “You will be glad you figured out how to deal with the struggle before it becomes too late in college.”