Tasty new options in the Quad Cities

Tasty new options in the Quad Cities

Portillo's, one of the many restaurants coming to the QC, is set to open on June 13.

Nathan Wong

Nathan Wong

Nathan Wong

Nathan Wong, Opinion Editor

To serve the ever-expanding population, lots of new restaurants are coming to the Quad City area.

Portillo’s, the Chicago-based restaurant known for its Italian beef and hot dogs, has been a long-awaited arrival for many Quad City residents. Senior Justin Sehlin gave his opinion on the new restaurant. “I’m glad Portillo’s is coming to the Quad Cities. There aren’t currently any restaurants that serve what Portillo’s has, so that will add some much-needed variety to the restaurants of the area,” Sehlin said.

Portillo’s is set to have its grand opening on June 13 of this year.

Another famously delicious restaurant will be coming right next to Portillo’s: Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers. Founded in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Raising Cane’s has spread mainly throughout the southwest part of the United States with some locations springing up in the Midwest.

Junior Kayla Nutt expressed her love for the restaurant. “When I’m in the Des Moines area, Raising Cane’s is always my first pick when it comes to looking for places to eat. I am very excited that I will no longer have to drive three hours to have their chicken,” Nutt said.

There isn’t any news as to when it will open, but they are currently filling staff positions for the Davenport location.

Icy Bubbles is a new bubble tea and rolled ice cream shop that recently opened in Moline. It is one of the only places in the Quad Cities to specialize in either bubble tea or rolled ice cream.

The only other bubble tea locations in the Quad Cities are in the Northpark and Southpark malls and the Oriental Food Store in downtown Davenport, which is currently closed due to the massive flooding in that area.

Junior Margaret Huang has been waiting for an authentic bubble tea place to come to the Quad Cities for a long time. “I love bubble tea, but I was never able to have any because the malls’ bubble tea is terrible and the Asian store is currently underwater, but theirs was inconsistent anyway. Now, the Quad Cities finally has a place I can get some real bubble tea at,” Huang said.

Nathan Wong, Opinion Editor

My name is Nathan Wong, and I am the opinion section editor for the Spartan Shield Online. I am a senior at Pleasant Valley High School. I am a captain...