Breaking records and stereotypes: How female Olympians are inspiring today’s youth

Kenny Wheeler
PV track coach, Kenny Wheeler, snaps a selfie with track olympian, Allyson Felix, at the USATF Outdoor Championships in Des Moines, Iowa on July 25, 2019.

The title of the most decorated athlete at the World Championships is no longer a tie. On September 28, Allyson Felix broke her tie with Usain Bolt for the most gold medals at a World Championship in Doha, Qatar. 

After winning the first mixed gender 4×400 meter relay, Felix earned her twelfth gold medal at the world championships, which is the most any athlete has received. She ran the second leg in the relay, and her team achieved a record breaking time. Fans look forward to watching Felix compete in her fifth Olympics during summer of 2020 in Tokyo.

More recent dominating female athlete accomplishments come from US gymnast, Simone Biles, and marathoner, Brigid Kosegi of Kenya. 

After her performance at the World Championships, the same event where Felix set her new record, Biles was named the most decorated athlete in history in that competition. Kosegi broke the Women’s marathon record on October 13 in Chicago by almost one minute. 

This trend of tremendous female athletic success has proved to be inspiring for many in the PV community as well. A huge inspiration for many, Felix is especially influential to the girl’s track team. Track coach Kenny Wheeler has been a fan of Felix for many years and believes she embodies the tenacity and attitude that he wants his team to possess.

“The way she handles herself is just great. She works hard, performs outstandingly, and handles herself gracefully afterward,” he said. “She’s a great role model for everyone, but especially young female athletes, I’m a big fan.”

One of PV’s veteran runners, senior Morgan Ramirez, has seen that her team functions similarly to the way Felix competes; this is due in large part to Wheeler’s coaching. Felix is known to be a great team player and recognizes how important it is to work together.

Ramirez has found this mindset to be impactful on her performance as well. “My favorite part of being on the team is the bond I have with the girls. We proved in the 2019 state meet what our hard work and dedication could do,” she said.

It is clear to see the way Felix, Biles and Kosegi have motivated themselves to achieve greatness resonates with many female athletes, even those at PV. As great role models for many young women, they share a common goal of inspiring everyone, specifically young girls, that anything is possible.

Using this mindset in his own coaching tactics, Kenny Wheeler works diligently year after year to create a team atmosphere that encourages everyone to be great. “My biggest goal in coaching my athletes, specifically the young women, is that they can do anything,” he said. “With this mindset, the opportunity for success is endless.”