Finding importance within community: Local teens aid a friend in recovering from tragedy

Aslynn Brown
Cara Johnson (left) and Aslynn Brown (right) are two Pleasant Valley seniors who used their online thrifting business to support a friend after tragedy.

Joad Wickham, 18-year-old senior at Edison, has experienced hardship unlike anything most teenagers have to think about. In an unexpected house fire, Wickham lost his parents, niece, two dogs, his house, food and a majority of his personal belongings. 

Each news story and reporter just barely scratched the surface of who this young man is, and within this tragedy lies someone full of compassion and drive.

Seniors Aslynn Brown and Cara Johnson are close friends with Wickham and see the joy he brings to each and every day. “Joad is one of the kindest, most fun-loving people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. He is very passionate, a sweet soul and is always there for everyone,” Brown explained. 

Within the growth of their friendship and the bond that they inevitably gained with Wickham, both Brown and Johnson knew they had to do something to help him as soon as they heard what happened. 

Brown began an online thrifting business on Instagram during May of 2020 with a close friend, and it gained unexpected popularity within the platform. Having gained 800 followers and having sold 400 items of clothing, Brown felt that the business was going down a successful path. As she grew away from her desire to sell on Instagram, she made the decision to move her business to Snapchat and eventually began to sell items with Johnson.

The two would record videos of themselves showing items of clothing, shoes, accessories and more in order to sell to their target audience, and their business continued to prosper and grow. Hearing the news of their dear friend’s tragedy struck a desire in them to use their platform to the best of their ability, and with their newfound success, they found inspiration.

“When I heard the news of what happened, I was overcome with dejection. I had a long, sorrowful conversation with my friend Cara about life,” Brown said. “During it, we decided to use our Snapchat platform and put our profits to good use. We completed several drops where 30% of the profits went to Joad, and for every 25 items sold, we donated one box of food as well. We ended up raising $155 for him.”

Brown and Johnson continue to use their platform effectively and even helped advertise further fundraising events that also contributed to Wickham and the GoFundMe created to advance the support for him. 

“Nadia Pridemore and Cara Johnson suggested to their father, Matt Johnson, the owner of Texas Roadhouse, to do a ‘Dine and Donate.’ 15% of the proceeds of each meal were donated to Joad, as well as all tips,” Brown said. “Over $300 was raised, despite the terrible road conditions on the day of the event.”

Both Johnson and Brown were ecstatic when they saw the community come together to help out such a deserving young man, and Johnson touched on the ways in which she was able to find peace in seeing such a thing. “I was amazed at how many people went out of their way to help someone they didn’t know. It was a really cool thing to see happen and to know that so many could join together,” she said.

Often in the face of tragedy and loss, many people do not know what to do. Johnson and Brown both experienced feelings of sorrow and dread in regards to Wickham’s situation, but instead of offering solely condolences, they decided to spring to action, and that is something to be commended. 

Technology has allowed for countless advancements, and truth be told, it has provided people with opportunities to succeed in non-traditional ways. Johnson and Brown found their niche within their online thrifting business, and through that they were able to inspire an outpouring of support towards a teenager deserving of nothing less than a community standing behind him.

Brown was full of emotions throughout this entire process, and although Wickham has challenges ahead, Brown was proud of the ways in which she and Johnson were able to contribute.

“The strength of the community during times of hardship is unstoppable. I am buoyant about the fact that Joad is getting the help he needs, and is surrounded by a community who will do anything to help lift him out of this dark pit he is drowning in,” Brown shared. “ Joad is the strongest person I know, and I am confident that he will beat the demons facing him.”

It is never an easy feat to face something so daunting and to find a solution when the issue at hand feels overwhelmingly impossible, but when Wickham was unable to find support within his life, his friends and community stepped in. Although there is much uncertainty that awaits Wickham, it is certain that he has an army behind him, and two friends willing to put him before themselves.

$480
$1000