Top 10 essentials from college students to bring to school with you

Sarah Abdullah
When it comes to dorm life there are many options of items to bring. However, there are certain necessities that will make living in this space more efficient and comfortable.
  1. Extension cords

Many electronics and products need to be charged. Yet there are so few outlets and they are often in inconvenient places. Having some extension cords with several outlets will make charging your things much easier.

2. Medicine

Going to the store when you’re sick is no fun. Having common medicines is important to keep yourself healthy. Especially if you are attending school with severe winters, cold season can be brutal. You will thank yourself when you don’t have to walk 10 minutes in the cold when you feel ill. 

3. Shower caddy/ shower shoes

Most dorms have communal bathrooms that are not connected to your room. Having a caddy to transport your shower products will be easier and more organized when going to and from the showers. Another tip is to bring designated shower shoes for cleanliness as several people will be sharing the showers.

4. Blankets

Having bedding for your bed is perfect for when you are sleeping, but making your bed whenever you want to be comfy can be a hassle. Make sure to bring multiple blankets for use throughout the day. In addition, they can be used for decoration to bring some color to your room. Most dorms have furniture for you, but they are often old and not pleasant to the eye. You can use blankets to cover up that old desk chair or to spruce up your bed.

5. Fridge

Though you may have a dining package, sometimes you may eat out or want certain snacks or beverages. Having a small fridge is helpful for storing these items and keeping them fresh. Some fridges take up a lot of space that you won’t have in a dorm, so make sure to pick one that is small and stackable to maximize the space.

6. Water bottle/ water filter

Oftentimes dorms don’t have sinks or if they do there is no filtered water. Having a large water bottle to fill up when you go to the dining halls or getting a Brita water filter will assure easy access to clean water. Hydration is key and it is a necessity to have water nearby at all times. Having a Brita in your dorm is convenient because you can fill it up with any water and it will be filtered for you.

7. Mirror

While many may opt to use the bathroom mirror it can be a hassle walking to the bathroom to put on makeup or see yourself. Having a full-body hanging mirror is optimal for space and use. Most are relatively inexpensive and can add to the look of the dorm as well.

8. Storage drawers/bins

Though most dorms come with a variety of storage options, it is important to bring extra bins or drawers to store other items you may need. A popular option is storage drawers that are stackable and can hide under your bed if raised. The space provided is limited so it can feel cluttered. Having a place for each item, even if it is the stuff you don’t use in that season, can be helpful and make the room feel more organized.

9. Collapsible laundry basket or bag

When living in a dorm, access to laundry may be far. Sometimes it is in your building other times it is quite the walk. Having a large laundry bag can make it easier to transport to and from the washer and dryer. Since dorms don’t have a lot of space, if you prefer a laundry basket try finding a collapsible one that doesn’t take up extra space when not in use.

10. Fan

Many dorms, especially older builds, don’t have air conditioning. Bringing a fan is an easy solution to staying cool. Especially in the first few weeks of school, it is still warm outside so you will want a fan to adjust the temperature. Many people sleep to white noise so a fan is a great option with a dual purpose.