Return of the Jedi

The latest trailer of The Last Jedi rocked the Star Wars fandom Monday night. It premiered at halftime during Monday Night Football on ESPN. Storm troopers marched onto Soldier Field in Chicago to hype the crowd and everyone patiently watching at home. The full trailer did not disappoint with shots of a disturbed Luke Skywalker, destructive Kylo Ren, and most importantly, an adorable screaming porg.

The Last Jedi is the second film in the sequel trilogy. It contains new heros such as Rey (Daisey Ridley) and Finn (John Boyega), and classic characters like Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Leia (Carrie Fisher). Cast members have made comments saying it will have a much darker tone than The Force Awakens. Said by Luke Skywalker himself in the first teaser trailer, “It’s time for the Jedi to end.”

There are many unanswered questions following The Force Awakens. The internet has been frantically searching for answers to the biggest questions surrounding the Star Wars universe. Rumors of a possible Anakin Skywalker return as a force ghost, an Obi Wan Kenobi appearance, and many others.

Question #1 Who is Rey’s father?

Perhaps the most frequently asked questions regarding The Force Awakens center around Rey’s lineage. Rey’s identity will most likely be revealed in The Last Jedi, which makes waiting much more difficult. The top three theories for fathers include:Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Obi Wan Kenobi. If Rey were to be a Kenobi, it would have to be Obi Wan’s granddaughter according to the Star Wars timeline. This would make the duel between Anakin’s grandson (Kylo Ren) and Obi Wan’s granddaughter (Rey) that much cooler.

Question #2 Who is Supreme Leader Snoke?

A favorite fan theory favorite is Snoke is Darth Plagueis. The story was told in Revenge of the Sith by Emperor Palpatine in order to seduce Anakin to the Dark Side. “Darth Plagueis was a dark lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise. He could influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying,” Palpatine said. Snoke could just be completely new evil character created to haunt Kylo Ren’s thought, but either way, he is a driving character in the plot and he will thrive in The Last Jedi

The Force Awakens received mixed reviews from fans. It collected high praise from critics, but some fans thought the plot was a little too similar to Star Wars: A New Hope. Like it or not, it cashed in over two billion dollars in the box office. Senior Jacob Fuhrmeister, Star Wars lifetime fan says, “I hope it’s less safe than The Force Awakens. I hope it has a unique storyline that will make fans appreciate the new trilogy while paying tribute to the original.”

Tickets are now available for the first showings of The Last Jedi in December. May the force be with you.