Looking to change history; Students come together

Just last week on Wednesday, Feb. 14, a former student unleashed gunfire on Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida making it one of the top ten worst mass shootings in the United States. Seventeen adults and students were killed, but will never be forgotten.

Students are rising up in response to the newest mass shooting. It appears the students, victims of these tragedies, are done receiving thoughts and prayers and are out trying to make a change. Using the saying #NeverAgain, students are fighting against gun violence, refusing to be overlooked.

The inspiring bravery started with the students from Parkland, Florida. A senior at Douglas, Emma Gonzalez, stood in front of the media, ready to make a change. Gonzalez stated during her speech, “We have to be the people calling for change and demanding a change.” Students around the country have been inspired by this 11 minute speech. A twitter account created for the student walkout has created a lot of buzz, receiving over 161,000 likes from around the nation.

Walkouts can be varied in many different ways, however, there is usually a certain format to these forms of nonviolent protest. Usually a group of people will pick a place to gather at a certain time, and then they, as the name says, walk out of the building to said location. From there, students can make poster or signs, while others choose to do whatever they feel will make a difference. Some groups have decided to have 17 minutes of silence for the 17 victims of the shooting, and others sing songs or chants in order to protest existing gun laws. Whatever is done, these walkouts definitely are effective when the word is spread, and there is a lot of support to the movement.

Students have also been encouraged to wear orange, a color used for anti-gun violence, to keep the conversation going. “We want students to attend school and then promptly walk-out. Sit outside your schools and peacefully protest,” the National School walkout comments. “Make some noise. Voice your thoughts.”

Multiple walkouts will be held throughout the country in the next few months. The first will be held February 21 at noon. It will be followed on March 14 at 10 AM, and lastly April 20 at 10 AM.

Change isn’t coming; it is here.

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000