2018 in Sports

January 4, 2019

Winter:

The Spartans began 2018 with an unforgettable basketball season. The hardworking and talented individuals on the boys and girls teams earned themselves MAC championships. Additionally, a number of players were recognized for their skills.

Kira Arthofer and Ellie Spelhaug were both 1st team All-Metro and Spelhaug was 1st team All-State. Spelhaug was the MAC girls basketball player of the year and coach Goetz was the coach of the year. Arthofer chose to continue her academic and basketball career at Eastern Illinois University and Spelhaug at Bradley University.

For the boys, Brian Dayman and Hunter Snyder were both 1st team All-MAC. Dayman committed to play division two basketball at Southwest Minnesota State University.

The few stand-out wrestlers had an amazing season. Justin Harrington was 2nd Team All-Conference and Eli Loyd was 1st team All-Conference. Sophomore Eli Loyd brought in his 100th career win and was the state runner-up in his weight class.

The boys swim team broke the 200 medley relay record. Kevin Burke placed 2nd in the 50m race, breaking the school record. Burke committed to swim for division one college IUPUI.

The Platinum dance team performed at state dance and placed 2nd in both pom and jazz routines, and Amy Showers was one of six dancers awarded the ISDTA scholarship.

Spring:

The Spartans kicked off the spring season with a MAC championship in boys soccer. This knocked Bett off the 23 year MAC win streak—a huge accomplishment for Pleasant Valley. Anthony Pena was awarded 1st team All-Area.

The girls had a great season as well. They were tri MAC champs and Grace Necker and Jenna Ruccolo were 1st team All-Area.

Pleasant Valley had a killer 2018 track season. Both the boys and girls teams had a number of relays and individuals qualify and place at Drake Relays and State Track. Arthur Braden, Parker Huhn, Konnor Sommer and Sam Hanna were 1st team All-Metro for the boys. Arthofer, Amaria Kirby, Abby Riley, Mallory Lafever, Spelhaug, Harmony Creasy and Sara Hoskins were 1st team All-Metro for the girls.

At state track, senior Konnor Sommer received 1st place in the 3200 meter race. Junior Adrea Arthofer, senior Kira Arthofer, senior Amaria Kirby and freshman Harmony Creasy won the 4×200 meter relay.

The 2018 tennis season was astounding. The girls and boys tennis teams were both MAC champions. One male and one female also showcased their skills playing singles. For the third year in a row, Lilly Feldman was a MAC champion in girls singles. Justin Selhin earned his first MAC championship in singles as well.

Summer:

Over the summer, the lady Spartans won their second consecutive state championship in softball. The team was placed under excellent leadership, including captains Ellie Spelhaug and Alexia Lara. Their record was 36-7. Carli Spelhaug, Ellie Spelhaug and Alexia Lara were first team all state. Carli Spelhaug has committed to Iowa State University to continue playing softball.

The Baseball team had some fantastic individual players who will continue baseball at the collegiate level. Senior Evan Crawford committed to the Missouri University of Science and Technology. Kyle Stoddard committed to play at Blackhawk college and Will Christophersen at Michigan State University. Evan Crawford was 1st team All-Metro. Ely Adams, Carter Hoskins, Kyle Stoddard and Jack Young were All-Metro Honorable Mention.

Fall:

This fall, the boys and girls cross country teams were MAC and district champs. The girls went on to place 6th at state, the boys 4th. A vast majority of the male and female varsity runners will continue running cross country at colleges across the Midwest. Ian Kaffenberger, Max Murphy, Kent Nichols and Gavin Smith were 1st team All-Metro for boys. Mallory Lafever, Maddy Minard and Abby Riley were also 1st team All-Metro.

The girls swim team had a number of individual and relay events place at the regional and state levels. Additionally, Taylor Buhr and Libby Staver were selected as 1st team All-Metro. Staver committed to swim at the division one level at the University of Wyoming.

The boys golf team were MAC champs and placed 2nd at state.

The Varsity football team put their heart and soul into the game this year. Seniors Slavens, Max O’Brien and Evan Kilstrom were selected as 1st team All-Metro and 2nd team All-State.

The volleyball team had a 26-8 season, earning them the title of co MAC champions with Assumption. They won the Western Dubuque Invitational and were runner-ups at the Waterloo West Invitational. Their season ended with an intense game in the regional finals.

Junior Erica Brohm was 1st team All-Conference, 1st team All-Metro, All-District team and Honorable Mention All-State. Senior Adrea Arthofer was Honorable Mention All-Conference and IA vs IL senior game Honorable Mention. Junior Claire Bebow was Honorable Mention All-Conference and All-Metro. Freshman Kora Ruff was 2nd team All-Conference and All-Metro. Sophomore Wood was 2nd team All-Conference and Honorable Mention All-Metro.

The Spartans truly put their blood, sweat and tears into every practice and game in 2018. Each and every team lives up the expectation of total effort. 2018 was a year of school records and endless MAC championships and Pleasant Valley will only improve in 2019.

$480
$1000

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000