Haleema Waheed

Different substances and materials have a growing impact on today’s society.

Age of addiction

Generation Z is influenced and exposed to the temptations of society, a frequent use of said temptations can lead to a path to addiction.

Surrounded by technology, spending hours at a time zoned into a small screen is not odd for most students. The yearn for technology places tensions on relationships, mental health and focus.

Substances regularly tempt students looking for distraction, self-medication, a chance to fit in, or energy, often leading to abuse. While the returning substances of E-cigarettes, caffeine, drugs, and binge drinking vary in consequences, the detrimental effects associated affect the day-to-day lives of youth.

Though sometimes overshadowed by substance mistreatment, behavioral addictions can be easily compared as the brain reacts in a similar way. Shortcuts, such as cheating and material addiction, are daily temptations for students as habit trumps morals. “Mind over matter” and “willpower” are frequently thrown out when faced with addiction, as generations continue to use and define the temptations appealing to most.

Unplugging the addiction
E-cig enslavement
Bottoms up

High school haze

Lily Williams, Staff contributor

In 2017 Monitoring the Future reported the decline in teen drug use, holding steady at the lowest levels in over two decades. Down to an average of 11.35% of users in high school, still drugs continue to be a pressure directed towards today’s youth. Once teen drug addiction begins, children are at a higher risk for social problems, early death and a long list of serious issues. Adolescents are...

Caffeine craze
A student’s web of lies

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000