Photo credit to Lindsay Fox via Pixabay (creative commons)

Juuling and electronic cigarette use has become an epidemic among American teens.

E-cig enslavement

Data released by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services in 2015 proved teens are drinking and smoking less than previous generations. The newest addiction hitting Generation Z is vaping, as teens across America vape in class, hallways, restrooms, and sporting events.

The multi-million dollar market of E-cigarettes aims to attract adult smokers but these devices, specifically Juuls, are appealing to teens. “Juul is a perfectly developed combination of the two most addictive things in our society: nicotine and technology” stated comedian and Juul user Cazzie David to Vogue.

Juuls resemble a USB flash drive and range in flavors from Cucumber to Crème Brûlée. According to Nielsen data, Juul made up over half of all e-cigarette market sales in the US by March 2018. Since the product was released in 2015, a recent spike in popularity is concerning health administrators that teens are developing a lifelong habit.

The common denominator between cigarettes and vaporizers is nicotine. “Major cognitive functions and attention performance are still in the process of developing during adolescence,” says K. Vendrell Rankin, a professor and associate chair in public health sciences at Texas A&M University. “Nicotine increases the risk of developing psychiatric disorders and lasting cognitive impairment and is associated with disturbances in working memory and attention”.

One Juul “pod”, cartridge of nicotine inserted into the device, delivers as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes according to the product website. “They want to try it out, so they try it out, get their first buzz and then realize it takes stress away from them. Then they become addicted, bringing it to school and juuling more often, just leading to worse things.” said junior Nate Martell. The nicotine in e-cigarettes is becoming a scarier reality, subjecting teens to the possibility of addiction for life.

An anonymous student comments on the “vape culture” at Pleasant Valley, “[the culture of PV] is its own culture in a way, they are separated from the rest of PV but you see more and more of the students joining in.” Administration has taken measures to prevent the use of Juuls on school grounds. Punishment ranges from $50 usage fines and three day out of school suspension to $200 fines and five day suspension with a pre-expulsion hearing.

Some students take these threats lightly, “the biggest reason people vape in school is stress or just to relax. Also it’s just to be rebellious in a way when you get told you can’t do something it just makes people want to do it more, especially teens. With vaping being our generation’s form of counterculture we do it anywhere just like how other cultures did,” said an anonymous student who admits to vaping in school.

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000