Senior+Gena+German+stands+in+front+of+the+Eiffel+Tower+on+her+recent+summer+trip+to+Europe.+

Gena German

Senior Gena German stands in front of the Eiffel Tower on her recent summer trip to Europe.

Chapter 69: Gena German

As an outstanding senior at Pleasant Valley, Gena German is truly committed to excellence. When it comes to students who like to get involved with activities in and out of school, German is the perfect example. 

German was born in Sterling, Illinois, and has attended Pleasant Valley since the start of elementary school. German lives with her mom, Sarah, her step-father, Robert, and her step-brothers, Jadin, Cohen and Noah. Additionally, she has two older sisters, Reghan and Brenna, and her father, Mark, who lives in Kansas. Other members of her family include her two golden retrievers, Tucker and Charlie. 

With such a busy schedule during the school year, German values the time she is able to spend with her family. She enjoys going on vacations with them, even if it’s simply just a day trip. When they’re all together, they enjoy family game nights and bowling as well. 

Traveling is one of German’s passions. This past summer, she traveled to Europe with other Pleasant Valley students. For this trip, she was able to experience the cultures of countries such as England, France, Switzerland and Italy. Experiencing the different atmospheres while traveling is something German admires. On this summer trip, she was able to see many popular sights along with the beautiful Swiss Alps. 

Traveling is not the only passion of German’s. She has participated in many activities throughout her life. She took part in gymnastics, swimming and ice skating as a child. However, the one hobby that stood out to her the most was soccer. She began her soccer career at the Bettendorf Soccer Association (BSA) when she was eight years old. With BSA, she was able to compete with skilled players, allowing her to grow as an athlete. Her freshman year, she switched to the Moline United Club to begin training for her high school career. She played Junior Varsity her freshman year, then earned a spot on Varsity her sophomore year. 

German decided to end her participation on the school soccer team her junior year. Her time off soccer allowed her to pursue a love for running. She participated on both the cross country and track team her junior year. She loved that she was able to do something she enjoyed with her closest friends, while building new relationships as well. Her senior year, she wasn’t a runner for the team, but she continued her involvement as the team manager. 

Though athletics take up a huge part of German’s life, she is also a musician. She joined the Pleasant Valley Band when she decided to play the tuba in 6th grade. She excelled immediately. During the fall season, German plays the mellophone in the marching band. With concert band back in full swing, German is excited to be able to play her tuba again. She has been a part of Pleasant Valley’s Wind Symphony all throughout her high school career. In order to prosper as a musician, she takes on many challenges; last year, she was a part of the Augustana Honor Band and the St. Ambrose Honor Band. She is hoping to take part in these honor bands one last time for her senior year, as she is not continuing music in her post-secondary years. 

Next year, German plans on furthering her education at either Luther College or Clarke University with a major in nursing. She took visits to both schools recently and loved the campuses. Both schools have a great nursing program, which is just what she is looking for. Although the school she is attending next fall is undecided, German still has three more quarters to make the most out of the rest of her high school experience. 

She hopes to push through the school year with full determination. As an individual having suffered many injuries, including a scorpion sting, jellyfish sting, three concussions, a growth plate in her right ankle and a fractured left wrist, it is clear that German is strong and can do anything she sets her mind to. 

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$580
$1000