Sam Bebow

The PV student section cheers on the Spartan football team at their game against Dubuque Hempstead.

A regulation-free year: What the absence of COVID restrictions means for fall sports

After an extremely difficult year filled with restrictions due to COVID-19, Pleasant Valley is entering the fall sports season regulation-free. This means that mask requirements, team quarantines and limited attendances are in the past.

Pleasant Valley Atheltic Director D’Anne Kroemer gave a run-down of the current guidelines for if an athlete or coach were to test positive. “If we are made aware that a student or a coach tests positive, we share with a team that a member of the team has tested positive, and that they need to monitor their symptoms, they need to stay home if they are not feeling well, and unless it is a small group of students that are all showing signs, we go on about practice and we go on about competition,” she said.

This is a huge contrast to what guidelines looked like last year. If an athlete were to test positive in fall of 2020, the entire team had to quarantine for two weeks, could not practice and could not play in competition.

Athlete quarantine guidelines are not the only aspect of sports that has changed this year. Game attendance, the student section and frontline are identical to those of years pre-COVID, and Kroemer believes that having regular attendance back is highly impactful for athletes. “That’s what being a part of a highschool competition is all about–being able to have spectators. I think there’s something to be said for a home field advantage, home course advantage, home pool advantage, and it’s awesome to be able to have the fans back in full-force,” she commented.

Last year, if a student or fan wanted to attend a game, they were required to enter with a ticket that had been given to them by athletes and band members for each event. Some students were able to get those tickets from friends, but many did not have the opportunity to attend as many games as they had wished.

These regulations are no longer in place for the 2021 fall sports season, and athletes like senior volleyball player Kora Ruff could not be happier. “It’s been awesome! The environment is so much more fun than it was last year. We definitely missed all the fans and cheering,” she said.

While there are many differences between guidelines in games this year and those of last year, differences can also be seen during the school day. Since the end of the 2020-2021 school year, students and staff at the high school have not been required to wear masks in the building. While many see this as a relief and one step closer to normalcy, it is hard for some coaches to overlook the risk that comes along with not wearing masks. 

Head girls cross country coach, Jane Wheeler, has been encouraging her athletes to do whatever they can to keep themselves healthy and allow for a smooth season. “What I have approached it with my athletes is, think about everything else we do to stay healthy. Like, we try to eat right, we try to hydrate, we try to get our good hours of sleep, so add to that, thinking about what you want to do for COVID. I would encourage them to mask and get vaccinated, just because you would do anything else to stay healthy, so think about it in that way, too,” she remarked.

Wheeler believes that she will bring her athletes closer to meeting their goals by reminding them of how fortunate they are to have a season and of the power they hold when it comes to their own health. “Because we have a huge goal, obviously, competitively, and last year we were so afraid to not have a season, and this year I kind of feel like just because we’ve lived with this for awhile we’re taking it for granted, so I’ve just been encouraging them to do everything they can to stay healthy,” she said. Like any coach, Wheeler wants her athletes to be successful and reach their full potential. 

With so much uncertainty last year, teams were scared that they would not be able to have a full season. This year, while things are beginning to look a lot more normal, when it comes to high school athletics, there is still a clear need for athletes to look out for their own health in order to protect the safety of their own seasons.

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000

• B

Brandon BensonSep 24, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I really enjoyed reading this about this years football season and how you compared to last years season. I think its really cool that everyone is talking about the games again. Everyone is asking each other if there going to the game instead of asking and saying, no i cant go i dont have a ticket.

Makayla ClarkSep 22, 2021 at 8:51 am

I definitely love that sports are now actually fun to go to rather then worrying about covid 24/7. I’m very happy and excited that things seem to finally be getting back to normal, even if that progress is slow. It’s much better then sitting at home and staring at a screen.

Sydney DolphinSep 19, 2021 at 3:31 pm

I would have to agree with Kora. Last year, the games were not as fun because of the limited fans. But, this year with, unlimited fans, the games are way more fun and memorable. I am also happy how all the athletes get to have normal seasons this year!

• N

Natalie AshbySep 17, 2021 at 9:24 pm

I am really happy the team is able to enjoy their season, and stay safe at the same time. The use of their covid protocol if someone tests positive will help keep the team safer, but also allow them to enjoy the sport. Hopefully they can continue their season without any issues from covid.

Jahni HarnSep 17, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Due to the restrictions being lifted, sports seem to be going back to normal. Students are able to experience their favorite parts of high school again, and even cheer on their favorite teams!

JackSep 17, 2021 at 8:21 am

I agree that the atmosphere is way better. As a student the student section feels way more electric and it is good to see so many people coming out to the sporting events. Overall it is good to have a sense or normalcy for our senior year.

Jake AlmgrenSep 16, 2021 at 10:38 pm

I like having no COVID related restrictions at school now, last year was so bland in classes like band and choir where we had to be spread six feet apart in every direction and mandated masks as well. Now, we also get to do regular events for those classes like Band Bash, marching actual drills, caroling during the winter and live choir concerts. And the other thing is, people have all had the opportunity to get the vaccine if they want to as well as wear a mask if they so choose, some chose not to get vaccinated or wear a mask and that’s fine. It’s also fine when people choose to get the vaccine and/or wear a mask.

• E

Ethan McReynoldsSep 16, 2021 at 8:54 am

I think it will make a big difference in environment now that there isn’t a limit on spectators. I am very happy at the amount of support that teams are going to get this year.

AbbySep 14, 2021 at 10:57 am

I find it very interesting and surprising how much the qualifications and protocol has changed from last year at this time to now. If there was a positive case last year it would be a much larger deal and we all would be someway impacted if a student tested positive. I am very happy to read and see that we are moving towards a more normal school year bringing back our normal traditions as a school. Something we all missed out on last year.

Jake DolphinSep 12, 2021 at 7:40 pm

I think it is very interesting how if someone on a team tests positive that no one has to quarantine. I would assume that an unvaccinated member would have to quarantine because they have no protection against contracting the virus.

Kennedy BradySep 10, 2021 at 11:24 pm

I am so excited for sports this year. I completely agree with Kora when she said that tje environment is so much more fun than last year. I was able to connect a lot more with my cross country team because we weren’t as limited as we were last year. It is so much more fun when you are able to have people cheering (especially without being muted by the masks.)

• V

Vrinda V.Sep 10, 2021 at 10:06 pm

It’s great that sporting events have been reopened to any fans and speculators who want to attend the game. It is also important for people to take safety precautions and be self conscious over any Covid-19 symptoms to ensure that the players, themselves, and other fans stay safe and healthy.

• G

Gavin PanganSep 10, 2021 at 3:00 pm

As a student that is part of the low percentage of students that wears masks, I am glad that sports and games are regulation free. It is part of the highschool experience to play sports and support your school. It is a totally different setting at your school’s sports games outside of school. As a student that missed my sophomore spring season (tennis), it was devastating, but that’s not a worry for anyone now.

JoeSep 10, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Hey JIllian, I think that your’e spartan shield article was very well written and had some good info and knowledge. I like how you went into detail about the covid restrictions and told people what actually went on. Not alot of people know the true restrictions and how serious it was. Im glad that there isnt too many restrictions now that the vaccine has came out but thank you for bring more knowledge to people who didnt know.

Jack GrothusenSep 10, 2021 at 10:13 am

I liked how you talked about the past and how people were barley able to go to football games and this year we got the freedom we deserved. The explanation on Jane Wheeler cross country team and how she motivated her team to stay healthy was also a great add on to the piece.

Arra CSep 9, 2021 at 8:32 pm

The atmosphere when playing is so much better! Last year was tough with limited spectators, and strict rules athletes and students had to follow. I’m glad that the restrictions are gone, and things have been smooth sailing!