Walkout in the valley: students take a stand

On February 14, seventeen people- both teachers and classmates- were brutally murdered at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. These students will never have the opportunity to graduate with their classmates, go to college, or to raise a family.

The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School lost 17 of their classmates and teachers, but they did not lose hope. In the days following the tragedy, students immediately got to work and have called for action. They have organized a central march in Washington D.C., The March for Our Lives, on March 24. Much like the Women’s March, students across the country have become inspired and hope to make this a nationwide event.

Students at Pleasant Valley have followed in the Florida students’ footsteps and taken matters into their own hands. Junior Vashi Chintalapalli shared “I knew I wanted to help but I didn’t know what I could do. I continued to research this issue when I came across news about the student advocates form Stoneman Highschool sharing their thoughts about this issue. After hearing about the #NEVERAGAIN movement, I Immediately knew that someway somehow I would try to help.”  After gaining inspiration, he went to work.

Chintalapalli planned a walkout on February 21 at 10:00 a.m. after gaining approval from the administration. With a 20 minute notice, over 60 students joined with Chintalapalli and stood outside for 17 minutes to honor the seventeen people who lost their lives on February 14.

During the 17 minutes, students shared their opinions on the tragedy in Florida and ideas on legislative reform. Senior Ramya Kumar participated in the walk out and shared her thoughts saying, “This is one step in an unprecedented process and movement set forth by the youth of America, particularly by high schoolers. This proves that not only do we as teenagers know what we want but how to attain our goals.” The last minute of the walk out was used as a moment of silence while senior Nia Howze read the names of the victims.

Howze shared her opinions at the walk out saying, “Students should not have to go to school fearing for their lives. We do, and we realize that this shouldn’t be the case. We are prepared to demand change.” This call for action by teens is unheard of and is not going away.

Principal Mike Zimmer commented on the walk out saying, “I am very supportive of students taking an interest beyond themselves.” He also highlighted the professional courtesy shown by Chintalapalli in planning the event. Zimmer was aware of the event and had the time to send an email to teachers explaining why students would be leaving if they chose to.

Students who participated signed their names on a form after coming back into the school for administration to get approval from their parent or guardian. As for teachers wanting to participate, Zimmer commented saying “The first amendment has limitations in the workplace.” Although teachers are not allowed to join their students while on the job, they are free to participate on their own time as long as they are not affiliated with the school.

After the walk out on February 21, students created a local group called #NeverAgainQC in support of Florida to continue their efforts toward action. This group plans to build a strong base at Pleasant Valley and then branch out to other schools.

#NeverAgainQC is planning to participate in the National School Walk Out on April 20 and hopes to get a majority of the student body to protest with them. April 20 marks the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting and the walk out is at 10:00 a.m. The walk out will continue all day in peaceful protest.

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$580
$1000