America reacts as its youth refuses to be silenced

For the first time in United States history, a mass shooting has not left the news headlines after a few days and a few news cycles. The attention to the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, has been sustained solely due to the efforts and powerful messages of the shooting survivors, particularly the high school students. In a passionate, tear-filled speech, Parkland student Emma Gonzalez declared, “We call BS”, addressing lawmakers’ refusal to enact proper gun control legislation despite the continued slew of mass shootings. In response to the action taken by the empowered students of Florida, media outlets and persons have reacted in a variety of ways.

The shooting occurred on Feb. 14, 2018; 17 people died at the hands of a gunman carrying an AR-15. After the the traumatic event taking student lives, CNN reported that congressional candidate of Kansas, Tyler Tannahill, will not cancel his campaign’s giveaway of an AR-15 rifle: despite that being the same weapon used to murder 17 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School less than one week ago.

Far-right conspiracies have arisen, the most popular of which being that the survivors, fearlessly speaking out against the inaction of the government in gun control legislation, are paid actors. The Chicago Tribune reported that several of the right-wing media outlets have claimed the high-schoolers’ talking points in interviews and speeches to be manufactured by leftists and PR experts. A video on Youtube detailing the foundation of the claim has gained immense popularity. These claims state that David Hoggs, senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and avid spokesperson for the survivors of the shooting, is a paid crisis actor.

President Trump initially reacted to the school shooting with a controversial tweet, blaming the FBI for failing to prevent the shooting from happening and missing “all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter.” The tweet became self-promoting, talking about how the FBI is, “spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign.” This made some rather unhappy, as attention was taken away from the victims and issue at hand.

On Feb. 21, 2018, Trump listened to the personal stories and accounts of the survivors of the shootings and the loved ones of the victims. Media outlets were able to sit in and record the entire interaction. Trump offered condolences to the victims’ loved ones and the survivors. He told the group he would take action regarding, “this horrible situation”. He voiced support of the initiative to arm teachers and end gun-free zones.

The most heinous response to the shooting came from Florida lawmakers. Earlier this week, CNN reported the Florida state House rejection of a ban on semiautomatic guns. This occured in front of the survivors of the school shooting who arrived at the state capitol to turn their grief into political action. In par with political lines, the republican-dominated body voted 36-71 against banning the rifles.

There has also been a plethora of supportive responses to the high school students leading a movement likely to create real change against gun violence. Amal and George Clooney have donated $500,000 to the March for Our Lives, founded by the survivors of the high school shooting. Celebrities have praised and thanked the students for their bravery and power as they speak out against the injustice of inaction, and more celebrities are continuing to support these courageous students

On Feb. 21, 2018, CNN hosted a town hall with student and teacher survivors of the shootings, loved ones of the victims, politicians and members of the National Rifle Association (NRA). The students and parents did not hold back, especially when speaking to Senator Marco Rubio, who received several negative cries from the audience for his responses throughout the night, as he repeatedly stated that he will not stop accepting money from the NRA. A grieving father whose daughter was killed in the school shooting confronted Rubio. “Look at me and tell me guns were the factor in the hunting of our kids in the school this week,” the father stated. Rubio responded by asserting that gun violence, “cannot be solved by gun laws alone.”  When pressed to stop accepting money from the NRA, Rubio claimed that he will not do so because his agenda is not influenced by money. This response was met with a slew of “boos” from the audience. The governor of Florida, Rick Scott, and President Trump turned down CNN’s invitation to the town hall.

Seeing that the students of America are pressing for their voice to be heard, there will most likely be a change in legislation in the near future.

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$580
$1000