Update on Justice Kavanaugh

On Sept. 4, Brett Kavanaugh, the Supreme Court nominee to replace Anthony Kennedy, had a hearing. Kavanaugh answered questions presented by various members of Congress. This important event will impact the future of the Supreme Court. Carissa McDonald stated, “Supreme Court nominations are serious business.”

Kavanaugh was questioned about his stance on Roe v. Wade and any decisions he would make regarding the case. Kavanaugh stated that he sees the importance of respecting the precedence set by Roe v. Wade, but continued to say that there are real world consequences. He cited a different court case related to Planned Parenthood as evidence. Many see Kavanaugh’s views on this subject as very important. Sophomore, Michael Nauman stated, “Kavanaugh’s views on specific cases definitely impacts how a lot of people feel about his nomination, especially because Supreme Court Justices will serve for life.”

Another common question asked by senators regarded Kavanaugh’s stance on the violence going on in America. Kavanaugh’s said he understands the violence going on throughout the country. As a judge, he believes that his job is to simply follow the Constitution and abide by the second amendment.

Congress also questioned Kavanaugh’s ability to separate President Donald Trump’s agenda when making important decisions about cases. Kavanaugh responded that he is an ‘independent judge’ and he is committed to taking the Constitution seriously. When making important court decisions, Kavanaugh also plans to adhere to the precedence set by previous court case decisions.

A few senators asked Kavanaugh direct questions regarding President Donald Trump. One asked specifically if Kavanaugh would support Trump’s right to ‘pardon himself’. Kavanaugh refused to provide an answer, as he did not want to answer hypothetical questions.

Many people eagerly await the decision to be made. McDonald stated, “Confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice sets the moral and ethical tone of the country

$480
$1000