Chapter 51:Delaney Evans

Delaney Evans, a junior at Pleasant Valley High School, is a student athlete and to say she has been successful is an understatement. Delaney discovered her passion three years ago and has only moved up from there, winning competitions all around the world. Rowing has made her the person she is today and she will never forget all the amazing opportunities rowing has brought her.

Three years ago Delaney’s main sports were running and basketball. She has previously heard about the Y Quad Cities Rowing club from a few of her friends and decided to give it a try as a cross training activity to help with her running and basketball careers. Unfortunately, the following fall she dislocated her knee which led her to the decision to only focus on rowing. “Rowing was the one sport I decided to commit to, knowing that would be my only sport and primary focus,” she stated.

It didn’t take long for Delaney to start becoming very competitive and moving up to the top boats. Her freshman year she earned the national title in Lightweight double with another Pleasant Valley student, Brenna Morley. Later that summer, she went to the U23 USA trials and received second in the quad.  

None of this would’ve been possible if she didn’t put in all the hard work that she does. Every morning Delaney wakes up at 4:35am to be at practice from 5:20-7:00 before school, and right after school she heads back to practice. “It seems very intense but it is fun when you’re surrounded with the people you love,” she said.

Her career didn’t stop after the U23 USA trails, from there she was selected to represent the USA at the U19 Junior world in Czech Republic. This year she has already traveled to D.C, Saratoga, NY, Sacramento, and Melbourne, FL. Delaney also won the Henley Regatta in London which is a huge accomplishment being the first team to win from overseas.

Competing all around the world has been an amazing experience for her and will be something she will never forget. She spent the most other summer training away from home, but the traveling aspect is something she enjoys. Rowing has also brought her great opportunities in college and is a great sport for females to earn scholarships.

Delaney Evans is an extremely talented rower and Pleasant Valley is honored to have her as a student. Evans stated, “I’ve had so many great experiences and met so many amazing people around the world doing something that I love.”

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$480
$1000