The burden of the holidays

Senior Lily Williams gazes down with stress after being prodded with questions about her future over the holidays.

The holidays are a time of celebration for many, but for students, stress often infiltrates their joy when the dreaded question comes up, “So where are you going to college?” or, “What have you decided to do with your life?”

While relatives often mean well and are simply trying to make polite small-talk, many PV students report ‘stressing out’ about this overused interrogation. Some students even admit to rehearsing their response or preparing for the follow-up questions.

Many students agree that their future is obviously very important, but being reminded of it every couple of minutes during the holiday season frequently leads to unnecessary stress. PV students have claimed they felt as if they were expected to have their entire life planned out, when in fact, they have plenty of time to figure out their plans.

PV senior Kayla Stevens is currently in the middle of the college decision. Stevens has an impressive list of college options and has always done well in school. However, even she feels the anxiety of the upcoming decisions and constantly being prodded with questions.

Stevens said, “When a lot of family members ask questions about our future it can get stressful because they expect you to have your whole life figured out before you get to college.” She believes college can instead be used as a tool to figure out what you want to do. She reminded her peers that it is okay to go into college without a plan set in stone, even if your great aunt and uncle don’t necessarily agree.

When a lot of family members ask questions about our future it can get stressful because they expect you to have your whole life figured out before you get to college.

— Kayla Stevens

Ely Adams, also a senior at PV, already has his college plan figured out, but he still feels the pressure of his family’s expectations of him to do something impressive. Adams said, “I already have a plan, and I used to have multiple backup plans, but that meant I thought I was going to fail at my first plan, so I got rid of those.”

Adams’ strategy to combatting his family’s inquisitions is quite unique and fairly brave. He said, “Now I just tell my family what I want to do with my life, which is play baseball.” Adams no longer tells his family what they want to hear but simply acknowledges his dream and shares it. He encourages his classmates to not be afraid to tell your family what you honestly want to do.

$580
$1000