Updates on PV construction

October 16, 2017

Since the start of this summer, the construction teams working on the PVHS addition have made a lot of progress. As of right now, the basic structure for the new commons is already finished and a large wall has been built for the new gymnasium.

Currently, the most exciting updates are happening at the front of the school. This is where the new main office, as well as the commons area, will be located. The commons will be equipped with a coffee/snack bar, furniture and gathering areas for small groups. Instead of the classic brick and mortar, the front of this expansion will be covered by glass panels. Another feature of this expansion is that the heating in the winter will be done by radiant heat from hot water pipes embedded in the floor.

Principal Mike Zimmer believes this new expansion will be a great one. Everything is looking good and no major delay is expected at this time. “They are right on [task]”, said Zimmer. Spartan Assembly also helped with the planning of this new expansion by drawing out plans for the interior designs and modeling. Although the new classroom building and gym will not be finished until next summer, the commons room will be finished around Christmas break. “Seniors will get to use the commons room”, Zimmer said.

However, the construction has caused some difficulties and complaints from students. The senior parking lot next to the weight room was closed earlier this year to house the various construction equipment and portable workshops. This has been a common source of complaint from students. This problem has been improved by the new East parking lot next to the tennis courts.

The tennis courts themselves are also affected by the construction of the new gymnasium: the four courts near the construction site have been closed and will remain so until the rest of the building is finished. The main reason for the closure is the safety concerns as the new wall cannot withstand strong wind at this point. The closure of those courts directly affects the Fall Tennis League (FTL), a weekly tournament for the PV tennis team. “They should have done it over winter when nobody uses the courts,” says Vivek Joshi, who attends the FTL.

All in all, the expansions here at the high school are looking great. Soon enough, sitting with friends in the new commons, drinking freshly brewed coffee and watching the snow falling outside a giant glass panel will no longer be an imaginary picture for students.

$580
$1000

Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$580
$1000

Sam PimOct 29, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I would be extremely excited if I got to experience the outcome, but your last sentence was an amazing conclusion and really made me want to be a junior again.

• E

Eric ThompsonOct 27, 2017 at 10:35 am

Very well written for the students point of view, and everyone seems to be very excited for the new construction to be done.

Kaylee LerschenOct 26, 2017 at 12:01 pm

It’s nice knowing this information .

Morgan ParkhurstOct 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

It is great that we will get to use the common grounds by january, but it sucks that we won’t be able to enjoy the new gymnasium. We have to deal with the long walks to school and won’t even get to enjoy the new building so that’s unfortunate, but I guess the future Spartans will love it!

Kirsten HillyerOct 26, 2017 at 10:04 am

Even though we won’t get to see the final product it’s nice to know that these advancements are going so well.

Audrey McCrackenOct 26, 2017 at 10:00 am

This was really well written! I liked the imagery at the end, it really helps me picture what it will be like. I’m excited to know that the commons area will be done before the year is over, I didn’t know seniors would be able to enjoy it as well.

Alysa jonesOct 26, 2017 at 8:48 am

I wish that I would be able to see what the school would look like it

• B

Braxton ChildersOct 26, 2017 at 8:40 am

Very well written and informative. Gets you excited to see the new construction.

Camden GlennOct 26, 2017 at 8:32 am

G danget…I wish I could experience these sweet new additions…. These sound awesome and it looks like they are coming along well. Thanks for the story, very informative and detailed.

Kyler WestOct 26, 2017 at 8:27 am

I am not exited at all about the construction it’s a big pain in the butt to deal with but the last sentence of the writing really hyped up the construction

• P

Parker olsonOct 26, 2017 at 8:26 am

I am very excited for this new commons room and the last sentence really builds up the hype for the construction to be finished!

Max RoyerOct 26, 2017 at 8:23 am

This article was very informational.

Kaylie M.Oct 23, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Gee, would of been nice to experience the new additions. But, hey, at least newcomers will be able to experience them. Didn’t know they were adding so much. Thanks for informing us on what the school doesn’t bother to (:

Alex SpayOct 20, 2017 at 7:32 am

Great article very informative.

Adam KunauOct 17, 2017 at 1:36 pm

As a senior, this construction is bittersweet. It’s great that the commons area will be complete for the seniors, but it is unfortunate that we won’t be able to take advantage of the full additions. It is also not as fun to deal with the construction while attending school currently.

15