Why kids are quitting sports sooner

In a recent study done by the National Alliance for Youth Sports, it was found that 70% of kids quit sports by the time they turn 13. The study claimed that this was because sports just aren’t fun anymore at that age. However, there are many reasons why a child may turn their back on a sport. There are a number of cultural, economic and systemic issues that result in kids turning away from organized sports at a time when they could benefit from them the most. Although it is true that sports may not be as fun as they once were, the biggest contributor to the decrease in participation is the stress and pressure the games place on the youth.

The cost of athletics goes far beyond monetary value. There is a clear push for kids to specialize and achieve at the highest possible level. Children are often pushed to find their passion at a young age and begin excelling immediately. For young athletes, early specialization can be harmful in terms of pressure and can lead to the child despising the sport. Many children feel too much pressure to please their parents, coaches, and peers which leads to their abandonment of athletics. They would rather give up the sport than be a disappointment.

Senior Audrey McCracken can relate to this problem. She said, “By the time I was in 7th grade I could tell that I wasn’t as good as the rest of the kids on my softball team. I wasn’t bad but I wasn’t good either.” McCracken said that she understood what it was like to quit a sport due to pressure from parents. “My parents were used to my older sister being amazing at everything she did, so when I wasn’t a star at softball I felt like I was disappointing to them. I felt like quitting was the best option for everyone because I felt miserable feeling like a failure to them.”

At around age 13, things begin to become more competitive and children who feel they do not excel at the sport or get as much playing time as other children feel like it may just be better to quit entirely. That means that those who do stay with the sport are playing at a much more competitive level. They then often find that being on a skill full team means a greater commitment of time and effort. It also means being surrounded by people who care very much about the outcome. This, consequently, brings the potential for experiencing disappointment or being the cause of it. Although this experience can be beneficial, it can also harm children who are not used to it.

Sheridan Culp, a junior, faced these same issues in her middle school years. “I joined a super competitive soccer team that was really intimidating. The girls would all yell at each other and everyone took it so seriously that I felt like it really wasn’t fun anymore.” Culp also shared an experience that she said made her want to quit the sport entirely. “We were at a tournament in the Championship game and I just remember feeling so stressed I didn’t want to play because I didn’t want to be the reason we lost. My coach put me in anyways and I was so nervous I wasn’t playing very well. One of the other girls parent’s yelled at me and it made me feel so defeated. I wanted to quit right then and there.”

For kids, playing at a more competitive level can also mean having to prioritize their commitments and interests and work tirelessly. It also means they have to be able to deal with the pressure of participating at a higher level. Training year-round, expensive equipment, individual coaching, camps, tournaments and participation on travel and select teams in many places are no longer really considered “optional” for success in youth sports. The investment of time and money that these things require is substantial. Scheduling can be a major conflict for many children.

Ethan Foltz, a sixth grader at Riverdale Heights, said he spends the majority of his time at competitive after school sports. He plays 3 sports that go year round including baseball, basketball, and soccer. He claimed between hitting lessons, having 3 personal trainers for basketball, indoor and outdoor training for soccer, and playing on multiple basketball teams, he feels overwhelmed. “Every day after school I have something. I go from school to tutoring to a sport every night and I never have free time to have fun,” he continued, “I love all of my sports and I have a lot of fun with my friends at them, but I don’t feel like I have the chance to ever hang out and be a normal kid.”

These things collectively deter a child from continuing to put their time and faith into sports. The system of youth sports is set up to cater to more elite players as they approach high school, leaving average kids with fewer opportunities. Our culture encourages specialization and achievement, which actively discourages kids from trying new things or just playing for fun. And all of this converges at a time when they’re going through major physical, emotional and social changes as well as facing pressure to pare down their interests and focus on school.