Violence against civilians runs rampant in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta

In an attempt to the end the rebellion against him in Syria, President Assad has been launching brutal attacks against the citizens of Syria, particularly civilians. Time Magazine reports that on Feb. 20, the Syrian government aggressively attacked a rebel-held suburb near Damascus, killing about 250 people. This attack is the deadliest attack in eastern Ghouta since the chemical attacks in 2013. According to Time Magazine, in the span of 48 hours, more than 100 civilians died during the attacks, including over 50 children. The New York Times reports that nearly 400,000 people are trapped in Eastern Ghouta, one of the last major areas held by rebel groups fighting President Assad.

BCC reports that the fighting in the area which began on Feb. 18 has left more than 600 people dead; the majority of the casualties are children. According to the New York Times, on Feb. 24, the United Nations voted in favor of a 30-day ceasefire after several days of the Syrian government bombarding the Eastern Ghouta, leaving hundreds of civilians dead. The governmental body voted to pause the fighting in order to allow humanitarian aid to reach the civilians trapped in the Eastern Ghouta. Russia, an ally of the Syrian government, repeatedly attempted to delay this resolution, however, after the death of over 200 children after less than a week of fighting, the United nations unanimously favored a ceasefire.

Despite the United Nations’ demand for peace, the Syrian Regime continues to bomb the Eastern Ghouta and murder civilians. According to the BBC, there has not been any humanitarian aid that has been able to reach the besieged area.