Samsung Note 7 Recall

Samsung’s newest flagship device, the Note 7, has begun a worldwide recall after reports appeared with the collective complaint that the new phone has exploded due to an overloaded battery. Around the country and the world, the Note is being recalled for, among other things, causing garage and car fires, along with burning its owners. A man in South Korea reported what he saw, “I saw small flames on the phone where it was melted, it disappeared soon after,” as quoted in CNN’s article. Because of the problem, Samsung’s share has plummeted 7%.

The problem stems from a faulty battery which catches fire when charging. This problem has resulted in multiple incidents, one being an explosion in the hands of a six-year-old boy, the explosion was so loud that it “set off alarms,” according to the Fortune article. Other incidents include fires and even a reported exploded Jeep from the charging cell phone.

Samsung has been scrambling to keep hold of the situation. They began a worldwide recall on Sept. 2. Samsung has also put out a firmware for the Note 7 in order to curb the charging capacity at 60% for those users in South Korea who did not want to return the phone. The phone has been banned on multiple airlines, where fliers will need to turn off and not use their phone throughout their flight.
Samsung pleads that their users return their Note 7s in order to avoid further property damage and personal injuries.