Xi Jinping set to become president for life

As China’s National People’s congress assembles this week, it is expected to vote into law that will permanently alter the political landscape in China. Barring any massive changes, China’s congress will this week grant Xi Jinping the ability to rule China for life.

Such a change scraps the former rule that limited chinese presidents to two terms of five years respectively. This first constraint was implemented into the chinese constitution to avoid the disasters of previous dictators such as Mao Zedong. However, Xi Jinping is already nearing the same level of power Mao possessed at his zenith, and will almost assuredly consolidate his power base further.

Over 3,000 members reside in the congress, and while they theoretically could vote against the measure, any action against the president is very unlikely. Never before has the congress voted against a proposal from the Chinese Communist Party, and they are not likely to do so now.

When members of congress were asked why they would vote for the measure, their answers were simple. “He does good things for the people and makes the country prosperous and strong.” answered Zhou Shuying, a member in congress, a response that exemplifies the mood felt across the nation.

Xi Jinping has undoubtedly improved the economy and status of China, and now he is being rewarded for his improvements. At just 64, and in good health, it is quite possible he will rule China for decades more.

Some dissent exists in the nation, but the Chinese government is exerting its considerable influence to squash any voices of opposition. They have banned certain phrases online, such as ‘personality cult’ and ‘my emperor’, and it is unlikely that any protests will lead to tangible results.

Many nations hoped that in the wake of China’s economic prosperity, the political landscape would shift democratically as result. However, the reverse is now occurring. China, as one of the most powerful nations in the world, is becoming increasingly autocratic.

In response to the measure, President Trump voiced his thoughts. “He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.”