Fill the stands for spring sports

Every Friday night this fall, hundreds of students met up at Spartan Stadium to support their very own Pleasant Valley Spartans. They came dressed according to the theme that was posted on the Student Section twitter account, and were ready to cheer on their peers. This same protocol was followed this winter at every basketball game with excitement and pleasure. But when it comes springtime, the once overflowing and cheering stands will be empty while the field is as full as ever.

Being a spring athlete is not easy. Summer is approaching quickly and along with it, the lack of motivation most students feel by the end of the year. Unlike other students, springtime student athletes must overcome this lack of motivation and commit to a rigorous after school training session almost every night on top of their usual course work. These athletes do not have an easy path to their success, and their success is not recognized enough- especially by their peers.

Jenna Ruccolo, the goalkeeper for the girls soccer team, expressed her feelings towards the lack of attendance at soccer games. “I feel like soccer is the forgotten sport of the school,” she said, “but I also know that when people decide to go to a game they really enjoy watching it.” Having a crowd at a game makes the event more enjoyable for everyone, and it propels players to compete better for their school. “Having a large attendance at big games creates such a great atmosphere for the players and the fans,” said Ruccolo.

Another member of the girls soccer team, Gretchen Strobbe, felt that all spring sports were left out in terms of recognition. “Especially considering that so many spring sports are consistently competitive at state, it’s always nice to have the community support the teams throughout the season” she said. Strobbe brings up a valid point-spring athletics are just as competitive if not more so than fall and winter sports.

Track and Field for both men and women has been extremely competitive at the state level for many years. Numerous individuals and relays have won state titles for the school without being properly rewarded for doing so. The state meet has an average of about 35,000 fans, yet the only students cheering on Pleasant Valley athletes are parents and fellow track athletes. This can be discouraging to these athletes considering the hard work and dedication it takes to make it to the state level of competition, let alone win a state title.

The men and women’s tennis team have also been extremely successful in the past few years. Last year the girls made history after winning the school’s first state title in the sport. Senior and tennis standout Lily Feldman had strong feelings about the lack of support from her classmates. “Tennis is an unpopular sport in Iowa. Compared to football, basketball and volleyball we don’t get nearly as many peers. The only time tennis is hyped up is at the state tournament,” said Feldman.

Feldman felt that tennis was misunderstood and unappreciated by her peers saying, “What many people don’t know is that tennis is so engaging and intense. You may not be able to cheer as loudly as you might at another sporting event, but it can still be a loud atmosphere. I know that the rest of my team would love the support from our classmates throughout the season. I mean we did win a state championship!”

It is understandable that not every student can make the trip to Des Moines to cheer on the Spartans. What is unacceptable is that students can’t make the trip to their own school to cheer on their peers. There are dozens of home games and meets scheduled for this spring that will inevitably be home to empty stands. This needs to change. As a school, we support fall and winter athletics and praise the athletes involved for their hard work and dedication. Why should spring athletes not get to experience what it is like to be admired for their efforts?

As a school, we come together to celebrate and cheer on our athletes, especially when we can all join together to stand against our rivals. This year the student sections for the Bettendorf football games and basketball doubleheaders were outstanding. This trend can continue. There is a home boys and girls double header soccer match against Bettendorf this year and the support of fellow students could make the difference between a glorious win or brutal loss. Help validate all of your peers efforts and dedication to their passion, regardless of the season. Support your Spartans, scream as loud as you can, celebrate with your fellow spartans and make the stands full again.