Bombings in Austin strike fear in community

For 19 days, sporadic bombings struck fear into the residents of Austin, Texas. Despite their tireless efforts, police were initially unable to find the perpetrator.

The attacks first began on March 2 with a pair of package bombs left outside two houses in the city. Then, the bomber rigged a tripwire as an explosive and used FedEx to deliver another bomb.

The first attack on March 2 resulted in the death of Anthony Stephan, a 39-year-old African American man who worked for Texas Quarries. The next attack also resulted in the death of another African American, as 17-year-old cellist Draylon Mason died after he opened the exploding package on his doorstep. After the two incidents police warned residents not to touch suspicious packages. “Call 911,” said Austin Police Chief Brian Manley. “It’s appropriate for residents to be concerned.”

The attacker shifted patterns, however, turning from package bombs to a tripwire rigged on a child crossing sign. Two young men set off the tripwire and were hospitalized. Both of those men were white, bucking the initial trend of targeting African Americans.

A mere two days later, the bomber struck again. The bomber shipped two packages through FedEx, yet another change to his methods. The first package exploded in a facility in San Antonio, injuring one employee. Officials received a tip and intercepted the second package in southeast Austin, stopping the threat before it exploded.

This time, however, the bomber made a mistake, parking his car in range of a surveillance camera on the way to ship the packages.

The police believed the suspect to be Mark Conditt, and moved quickly to his location at a hotel north of Austin. The police followed him as he drove his vehicle and moved in cautiously as the van stopped in a ditch.

As the police moved to apprehend Conditt, he set off a bomb in his van. The police, however, continued to move in. “We literally had Austin police officers running toward a vehicle that had an explosives device in it that detonated. That is unbelievable courage,” FBI special agent Chris Combs stated.

However, in spite of the police force’s courage, they did not succeed in apprehending the suspect, as Conditt died by his own hand in his van.

Police then discovered a confession video from Conditt, who described the bombs he built and stated that the attacks would have continued had the police not stopped him.

He mentioned no motive however for the attacks. Officials believe the acts were those of an emotionally challenged individual, as the police chief states, “It is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his life that led him to this point. I know everybody is interested in a motive and understanding why. And we’re never going to be able to put a [rationale] behind these acts.”

While no rationale may unveil itself, the police will still continue their investigation into the murders. The attacks came at a time of several mass acts of murder, and have exacerbated growing concerns about citizens safety.