Plastic waste in the oceans, micro plastics in our bottled water

It is the prominent feature of our planet and is essential for life to exist, water. Huge amounts can be found in the ocean, lakes, rivers, glaciers and even underground. But don’t get fooled, less than three percent of the Earth’s water supply is considered freshwater, or usable water, not taking its accessibility into account.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, over 68 percent of that freshwater is stored in icecaps and glaciers, leaving a scarce fraction to be used for practically everything, from the most basic use, such as drinking and watering crops, too the most luxury use, like swimming pools and even water fountains.

With this stunning realization comes a recognition, that the utilization of water as a resource, has to be performed with caution. Also, every single living creature, shares the responsibility of keeping the existing water supply clean to secure overall survival.

Sadly, modern day society seems to ignore its responsibility. According to National Geographic, 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris are currently drifting our oceans. Of that mass, 269,000 tons float on the surface, while some four billion plastic microfibers per square kilometer, litter the deep sea, potentially causing harm to native species and potentially harming our whole Ecosystem.

A study conducted at the State University of New York in Fredonia, might just strengthen this concern, as it discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per liter, each larger than the width of a human hair, in bottled water.

“We found [plastic] in bottle after bottle and brand after brand.”, Sherri Mason, a professor of chemistry at the university, who conducted the analysis said in an interview with BBC, “It’s not about pointing fingers at particular brands; it’s really showing that this is everywhere, that plastic has become such a pervasive material in our society, and it’s pervading water – all of these products that we consume at a very basic level.”

In response to the study, leading international brands ensured that there bottling plants were operating under the highest standards and that their product were still in a marvelous condition.

Adding comments that the methods of discovery were unclear, plastic particles were everywhere and that no regulations were in place.

Although no evidence suggesting that a correlation between the ingestion of micro plastics and human well being exists, Professor Mason said: “It’s not catastrophic, the numbers that we’re seeing, but it is concerning.” With this being said, humanity is left to wait for future research to show the truth about micro plastics.

If harmless or harmful, everybody’s contribution in reducing the amount of plastic waste is highly appreciated, by humans, animals and planet Earth itself.