Removal of Cosmopolitan from Walmart aisles causes controversy

Cosmopolitan Magazine reaches more than 17 million readers a month, making it one of the most successful magazines in the United States and around the world. Despite the magazine’s success, a decision reached by Walmart executives determined that the magazine will no longer be sold at the checkout aisles. For years, the magazine has faced criticism for its oversexualization and objectification of women. This criticism primarily came from a group known as the National Center on Sexual Exploitation, or NCOSE. “Cosmo sends the same messages about female sexuality as Playboy,” NCOSE said in a statement.

The organization also claimed that the magazine objectified women and was a poor influence on young girls who may look to the magazine for advice. “It places women’s value primarily on their ability to sexually satisfy a man and therefore plays into the same culture where men view and treat women as inanimate sex objects,” the statement said. “Further, Cosmo targets young girls by placing former Disney stars on its covers, despite the enclosed sexually erotic articles which describe risky sexual acts. Customers should not be forced to be exposed to this content when they are trying to check-out at the store.”

The concerns of NCOSE were heard by Walmart as they released a statement Tuesday saying they would be removing the magazine from checkout lines at its stores. The corporation stated that the magazine would still be available to purchase at their stores but would not be available at checkout lanes. “Walmart will continue to offer Cosmopolitan to customers that wish to purchase the magazine, but it will no longer be in the checkout aisles,” the company said in a statement. “While this was primarily a business decision, the concerns raised were heard.”

While many feel this is a step in the right direction for women’s rights, others had different views of the situation and even claimed that it was a step backwards. CNN journalist Melissa Blake claimed that the magazine had done an exceptional job at progressing and shedding light on serious topics such as the #MeToo movement and sexual harassment. “It’s a teaching tool and fully embraces the needs of its readers,” Blake said. “And it asks and swiftly answers the question: What does it mean to be a woman in 2018? The 2018 woman is empowered. She’s emboldened to go for what she wants — both in her work and in her relationships — so why can’t that be celebrated instead of demonized?”

There are mixed reactions to the news and some are having a hard time determining how they feel about the situation. Senior Audrey McCracken said, “I understand why they took the magazine away and I respect their decision because I think they were trying to do what they felt was right. But in the end, I feel like it might have the opposite effect. I didn’t find the magazine to be offensive and the decision made by Walmart almost makes me feel bad for enjoying it.”