Howard University in turmoil

In an investigation regarding Howard University from 2007 to 2016, officials discovered that university employees were receiving grants as well as tuition remission. The exact amount of money was not immediately released, but it is known that it exceeded the cost of attendance. This type of scandal greatly impacts how students view a university. “Because I have a high financial need, my college decision was almost entirely based on financial aid,” said senior Elle Fietsam. “I don’t believe I would even feel comfortable applying to a school if I am unsure there is even a possibility for high financial aid there.”

The students of the university have since taken over the administration building to ensure that the members of administration are held responsible for the financial scandal. “I probably wouldn’t participate in the sit in,” said Haley Germain, senior. “But for the students who are really passionate about the subject it is a great way for them to find their voice.” On Sunday, March 25,  a student group by the name of HU Resist announced a list of demands to improve student life. Many of the demands were developed from the results of a student survey sent out by the group. One of these demands which stood out among the others was a call for the resignation of university president Wayne A.I. Frederick as well as his board.

The following day HU Resist members put up posters and banners around campus reading “Student Power.” They also passed around lists of their demands to fellow university students. Several posters and banners were taken down, most likely by university employees, but their hope was that they would draw some attention of students with the same viewpoints as the group. Throughout the day, news of their demands was reaching many across the country by means of social media.

For the next two days the news about the scandal travelled fast on Twitter. A financial aid worker at the university posted an article about the issue under an anonymous name. The article stated that the total amount of money taken was near one million dollars. The article has since been taken down, but an email has been sent out to the students by Frederick confirming the rumors of six employees taking money from the university. This news was shocking to students, especially those who had trouble getting the money they needed from financial aid in order to stay enrolled to the school.

On Thursday March 29 there was a day party, which students called a darty, to be held. Around 100 students headed to the Mordecai Wyatt Johnson Administration Building to protest. As time passed, there were over 300 students in the building whose goal was to stay there until the university president resigned.

On Friday morning, the students had spent the night at the building and were taking up every entrance. People around the community donated money, food, blankets and other items to support the students’ protest. Although the university told students that classes would continue to run as normal, some professors made the decision to cancel their classes and allow the students’ voices to be heard. On that same day HU Resist also held a press conference in order to reiterate their demands and what they will do until they are met.

On Sunday April 1, an email was sent out by the vice president of Howard University, Kenneth Holmes. It gave all students under the age of 21 guaranteed housing.

As the new week started, the protests continued. Some students went to class but returned immediately after. Their efforts did not fade as many assumed they would with the start of the school and work week, but these students are determined to make their voices heard.