Reconstructing Bettendorf, and what it means for you

Driving is a tough skill to learn. Whether you’re on a fast-moving highway or bumper-to-bumper traffic, it’s very stressful for teens who are just beginning to sit behind the wheel. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motor vehicle crashes are the number one leading cause of death among teens in the United States.

Many factors contribute to the shocking statistic, such as cell phone usage, distracting passengers, and simply just being new on the roads. However, road construction is also a factor that doesn’t get mentioned as much.

This past summer, many new construction projects have begun in Bettendorf along many of the roads that students drive on. Luckily there have been no known accidents involving PVHS students.

The big projects this year are the repaving of a large section of Middle Road and the widening and reconstruction of the intersection between Spruce Hills Drive and 18th Street, as well as a section of just 18th Street. The 18th Street and Spruce Hills intersection construction has been ongoing since April, though it was scheduled to finish in August. For anyone who has been driving recently, it is common knowledge that the area is still ridden with orange cones. The project is behind.

The work along this intersection is much needed, as it will include a six foot wide sidewalk inserted on the east side of 18th Street, as well as new storm sewers and manholes.

The Middle Road project is far less extensive and is on schedule. The project includes resurfacing and patching of the road, as well as a right turn lane inserted at the Spruce Hills intersection and a left turn lane at the AAA Court intersection.

The cost of these improvements, however, is the increased danger of driving through these sections.

“I try to avoid the construction,” says senior Rachael Souhrada. “A lot of drivers don’t pay attention to what is going on.” That is, many drivers don’t go the suggested construction zone speed limit, or they are not very focused on correctly driving through the zone. It is a setup for crashes.

Max Yonash, juinor, adds, “It’s scary to drive through.”

“The traffic at the 18th Street intersection always piles up because there is only one lane.

People try to rush through the light,” Souhrada elaborates.

In the end, it is very important for teens to recognize that road construction requires extra attention to the road. Go the suggested speed limit, listen to the signs, and be on alert. If you don’t feel comfortable driving through the construction, don’t. Find a detour. Do anything to keep yourself, other drivers, and construction workers safe!

$580
$1000