Vegan s’mores tacos

Fall just got much more exciting with these delicious s’mores tacos, and they’re even better than they look because they’re completely vegan-friendly. That’s right, delicious and vegan! You can bring them to bonfires this fall and impress all your friends with your skills whether they’re vegan or not.

There is a common misconception that vegan food is gross, Meagan Burke, senior, said when she thinks about vegan food she thinks of “fruits and vegetables.” Although fruits and vegetables may be a majority of the vegan diet, there are many easy tricks to make your favorite recipe vegan. With a little extra effort you can make yourself a tasty treat that is just as good as and far healthier than most non vegan treats.

The vegan lifestyle has countless health benefits. According to Lauren Toyota, vegan blogger and advocate, “You could experience clearer skin, more energy, a clearer mind, better sleep, and better digestion after adopting a plant-based diet.” The vegan lifestyle is also known to prevent many types of cancer, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, fight type two diabetes, and help you live a longer life. Toyota advises that those interested in transitioning to a vegan lifestyle “Start with one meal a day and replace the animal products with plant-based alternatives.”

Despite the health benefits, being vegan can be a bit of a struggle when you’re surrounded with the delicious treats all your friends are eating. Now you can put an end to those temptations by bringing your own delicious treat. You can assemble the s’mores tacos before heading to the bonfire as done in the recipe below, or you can easily make the shells and add the marshmallows and chocolate there.

Ingredients:
1 C all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 C packed brown sugar

1/4 C granulated sugar

1/8 C vegetable oil

1/8 C non-dairy milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 bags vegan marshmallows

100 G vegan dark chocolate, melted

In a large bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt.

In another bowl combine sugars, oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.

Layout the dough onto one side of a large sheet of parchment paper, fold the paper over top and slightly flatten the dough with your hands between the parchment paper. Refrigerate this for at least 1 hour.

Take out sheets of aluminum foil approx. 20” in length. Roll it up gently forming a round about 1 1/2” wide. To keep the foil rods stable, just pinch each end around the edge of the baking sheet.

Then roll out the dough between the parchment paper until it’s just over 1/4” thick. Remove the top layer of paper and use a 3” circular cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Repeat this process until all the dough is used up. Be careful not to roll out the dough too thin or the tacos could fall apart in the oven.

Spray the foil rods lightly with oil and then gently place the cookies over top of the foil rods so the sides drape down, forming a taco shell shape.

Bake for 12 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven.

Once the cookie tacos are cool to touch gently remove the foil rod from between the sides.

Melt chocolate over low heat until smooth. Roast marshmallows over the gas stove or under the oven broiler.
Assemble each taco with 2 marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.