Ever planned to go to space?

By The Hubble Heritage Team (AURA/STScI/NASA)NASA Headquarters – Greatest Images of NASA (NASA-HQ-GRIN) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

The future is expected to show even further advancement in technology. Movies and books portray fictional worlds containing jetpacks and all sorts of futuristic equipment, but most essential is the space travel — or at least the inclusion of extraterrestrial components and the ability to travel the endless cosmos.

Space travel is obviously nothing new: achievements like the moon landing from 1969 and the International Space Station are familiar to almost everybody, regardless of age. Yet, space travel is not designed for the general public, but rather for astronauts trained for the extreme conditions in a zero gravity environment.

In the works, however, is the revolutionary “luxury space hotel”, developed by US-based space technology start-up Orion Span. The fully modular space station, named “Aurora Station”, will host up to six people at a time, including two crew members, for a 12-day long trip. It plans to welcome its first guests in 2022.

Guests will be charged $9.5 million each, or about $790,000 a night. Refundable deposits of $80,000 can now be made online. “It is a ridiculous expense, but if people are willing to pay for it, it will work.”, said senior Mukul Nair, ”I hope this will spark greater things in that field.”

Money is not all you need as it turns out — before attending the probably greatest vacation in their lives, travelers will have to complete a three-month Orion Span Astronaut Certification program (OSAC) with Orion Span team of space industry veterans to be prepared to face zero gravity, before the take-off.

“I think it is a great idea to open space travel for the public, although it will be available for the super rich only,” said senior Adarsh Manosh, “But I am confident that in the near future, space travel will establish itself and have a wider span of followers and parttakers.”

All that remains is to wait until the launch and thus the official start of the project.