Remembering Barbara Bush

On Tuesday, the wife of one president and the mother of another passed away in her bedroom in Houston, Texas. Barbara Bush died holding the hands of her husband, the former President George Bush, in the final moments of a marriage that endured for 73 years, the longest presidential marriage in history.

On Saturday, thousands convened at St. Martin’s Episcopal church to mourn her death. Four of the five living presidents paid their respects, as Obama, Bill Clinton, George Bush and George W. Bush all attended the service. President Trump did not attend “to avoid disruptions due to added security and out of respect for the Bush family and friends attending the service.”

Mrs. Trump did attend, however, and in a moment of unity born out of respect for the dead, stood shoulder to shoulder with the Clintons and Obamas.

As those close to Mrs. Bush came forth to speak, her remarkable character was reflected clearly in their words. “We learned to strive to be genuine and authentic by the best role model in the world,” Jeb bush stated in his eulogy.

Jon Meacham, a presidential historian, spoke as well, recounting a conversation he once had with Mr. Bush. Meacham asked the former president in an interview long ago if he knew early on how resilient Mrs. Bush would be. “She’s the rock of the family, the leader of the family,” Mr. Bush replied. “I kind of float above it all.”

Mrs. Bush’s pastor, Russell Levenson, also came forward, fondly recounting the former First Lady’s openness and sharp wit. “What an interesting thing to be a confidant to a woman who has no secrets,” he stated. “What you see was what you got.”

Levenson also recounted a story of when he and Mrs. Bush were walking along the beach. “Barbara was washing off her own shoes, and a fellow came up to her and said, ‘Hey you look a lot like Barbara Bush.’ Without missing a beat, Barbara just said, ‘Yes, I hear that a lot.’”

After fighting disease for years, in her last days Mrs. Bush surrounded herself with her loved ones and prepared to pass on. Bolstered by her faith, she was unafraid of death even at its doorstep.

As she moves on, Mrs. Bush will be remembered for the legacy she left behind, including her work for civil rights, literacy for citizens in America, her steadfast support of her husband during his presidency and the respect and love she garnered from both sides of the aisle during her long stay in Washington. She was a remarkable woman, a woman America cherished, and a woman America now mourns.