Pleasant Valley senior athletic awards

The Pleasant Valley Community School District emphasizes that students be well rounded. Not only do they encourage students to participate in multiple activities, but they hope that students are committed to nothing less than excellence, in not some things, but in all things they participate in. This school motto was reiterated by many seniors on Wednesday, May 2 at the Senior Athletic Awards.

In this awards ceremony, the PV Athletic Department recognized all senior athletes who participated in a sport throughout the year. Whether it be first year athletes or four year state champions, the Athletic Department found equal importance in recognizing the work that each athlete put into their academic and athletic careers throughout high school.

In addition to these recognitions, the highest honor an athlete can receive at this awards night is one granting a scholarship. These awards include the Male and Female Athlete of the Year awards and the Bernie Saggau Award.

This year’s Male Athlete of the Year was awarded to Konnor Sommer. Sommer participated in both cross country and track for four years and brought home a state championship in 2017 with the cross country team. Sommer will be continuing his academic and athletic career on the University of Iowa’s Cross Country and Track and Field teams.

The recipient of the Female Athlete of the Year award was tri sport athlete, Ellie Spelhaug. Though Spelhaug is only considered a tri sport athlete, she competed in more than three sports. “In high school I played basketball all four year, softball for five years, volleyball for three years, and I ran track for four years,” Spelhaug said. Starting her high school athletic career in 8th grade and finishing her high school career post graduation, Spelhaug has won state titles in track and softball, and she still has two more chances to earn these titles again. Spelhaug plans to continue her academic and athletic career in basketball at Bradley University in the fall.

The final award given at the Senior Athletic Awards was the Bernie Saggau Award. This honor is awarded to a senior athlete who displays good sportsmanship and honesty on and off the court. The 2018 recipients for Pleasant Valley were seniors Caleb Carius and Roshni Penmatcha.

“It’s always really important in sports to have good sportsmanship, especially in tennis since there are no referees,” Penmatcha stated. “I have always tried my best to follow the rules and have a positive attitude when I am on and off the court.” Penmatcha is a true example of a humble and kind athlete, and displays the characteristics of the Bernie Saggau Award in everything she does. “Being honest can be applied in all aspects of your life and it is always better to succeed through hard work rather than cutting corners,” Penmatcha said.

These senior athletes excel in athletics, academics and have been recognized as accomplished individuals throughout their high school career. They truly represent what it means to be well rounded, not in somethings, but in all things they do.