“Be Best” stirs questioning

By White House photographer (Official White House Facebook page) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Last Monday, 16 months into her term as First Lady, Melania Trump debuted her campaign: “Be Best.” During the presidential election campaign for 2016, Trump announced she would focus on cyberbullying with her time as first lady. This is the first time she has spoken about it since the election. Following the announcement of her campaign, many have questioned her outlook on her message since many view her husband, Donald Trump, as a cyberbully himself.

Back in November, two days after the presidential election, Lady Gaga tweeted “.@MELANIATRUMP to say u will stand for “anti-bullying” is hypocrisy. Your husband is 1 of the most notorious bullies we have ever witnessed.” Gaga herself is the founder of her own anti-bullying campaign, Born This Way Foundation. But other activists for this cause remain hopeful and patient to see how Trump unfolds her campaign. “We have tried to reach out to her and offer the services and expertise of our organization; so far, we have not heard back,” Pamela Hurst-Della Pietra, founder of the Institute of Digital Media and Child Development, said. “I’m still delighted that Melania Trump chose cyber bullying.”

At her speech in the Rose Garden of the White House, Trump gave her speech in front of her husband which drew attention. In her speech, Trump said, “As we all know, social media can both positively and negatively affect our children. But too often, it is used in negative ways. When children learn positive online behaviours early on, social media can be used in productive ways and can affect positive change.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders responded to questions about her statements and how the contradicted the President’s actions stating, “I think the idea that you’re trying to blame cyberbullying on the President — when it comes to kids this is something that has been problematic and something that we have seen over the last decade.”

Trump’s campaign focuses on two other main pillars besides cyberbullying. It includes focusing on the wellbeing and opioid abuse epidemic. “As a mother and as first lady, it concerns me that in today’s fast-paced and ever-connected world, children can be less prepared to express or manage their emotions and oftentimes turn to forms of destructive or addictive behaviour such as bullying, drug addiction or even suicide,” Trump said at her campaign announcement. “I feel strongly that as adults we can and should be best at educating our children the importance of a healthy and balanced life.”

According to Trump, since her time spent campaigning for her husband, her eyes have been opened to the extensive problems of opioid abuse. She has since met with doctors and families who have been affected and fallen victim to the excessive overdose of prescription drugs. She has also visited West Virginia who is at the forefront of this epidemic. With “Be Best,” Trump will focus on promotion of programs which educate about Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome and how drugs affect children.

“Be Best” has also drawn controversy over the pamphlet that went out with her campaign. The 27-page pamphlet was nearly word for word for the one published during the Obama administration by the Federal Trade Commision. When first put online, the pamphlet read that it was by Trump and FTC, but it was later changed to say that it was simply “promoted” by the Trump and written by the FTC. Both pamphlets had similar graphics, designs, colors and even wording.

Trump has previously received criticism for nearly plagiarizing part of her speech. At the Republican National Convention in 2016, Trump reworded a paragraph from former first lady Michelle Obama’s 2008 Democratic National Convention speech.